divine

Any machinists on here?

Anything goes - within reason.

Any machinists on here?

Postby Andy.I » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi Everybody,

Are there any lathe users one here?

Keef had a lathe and a vertical mill but he hasn't answered my PM - does anybody know if he's okay? Edit: panic over, I've reached him and he's okay! :thup:

I learnt to use machine tools at college and was forever in the machine shops making and modifying motorcycle parts but I digress! I'm looking for a small-ish lathe - something like an 8" x 16" to perform general turning and both imperial and metric screw-cutting. There are a number of Chinese machines on the market and no end of Youtube videos on how to blue-print them from new to make them usable machines and I'm torn between going this route or alternately finding a second-hand Myford ML4/7/10 or some other classic English model - I'm currently considering a Zyto 7" x 16" model but I think is overpriced and spare parts will be difficult to find.

Does anybody have any advice, recommendations, comments please?
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Any machinists on here?

Postby Sidebyside » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:40 pm

Flintsy uses a sewing machine regularly :shock: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Guns have only two enemies; Rust and Politicians
Sidebyside
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:05 pm

I have my grandmother's tredle sewing machine which I can run a bit to sew a seam. I did work with talented tool and die makers who fabricated machinery and stamping machine or power press dies. I had those fellows do some of my gunsmithing and machine work. I left that position and now I have only limited access to such equipment. I never bothered to get a lathe or small milling machine. I'd probably make something that would be illegal. I do miss the tool room days though.
I am picking up a vintage Mossberg Brownie 22 pistol today. It's a four barrel 22 long rifle Derringer type pistol with a rotary firing pin. It does feature some cool machine work.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Andy.I » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:19 pm

Nothing wrong with using a sewing machine. I made seat covers for my Ducati and Moto-Guzzi in the past. :thup:
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General chat