divine

THE PRODIGAL RETURNS..

Pretty much anything shooting related

THE PRODIGAL RETURNS..

Postby Tommo » Sun May 30, 2021 11:44 pm

Thought it was time to come back and have a look-see what's going on in Shootforum world.

So we are nearly three and a half years back in my homeland, the Isle of Man, and, sad to say, all my centrefire rifles have gone on to other shooters as there is nothing here longer than a 50m range. That's the downside. The upside is I'm back to shooting pistols again. "How can that be" I hear you cry.. well, fortunately for us over here, the Isle of Man whilst being part of Great Britain is not part of the United Kingdom. To put it simply, we make our own laws and banning handguns wasn't one of them. So you'll not find any LBR's or LBP's over here. Currently I have three on my FAC; so, time for some photos.. (in chronological order of buying them)

Eagle 4.JPG
RUGER SR 1911, LIGHTWEIGHT COMMANDER, 9MM

P1060422.JPG
TAURUS M669, .357 / .38 6 INCH BARREL

DSC_0005.JPG
GLOCK 44 - THE LATEST ISSUE FROM GLOCK. IT'S A .22LR AND IDENTICAL TO THE GLOCK 19.

All are great fun to shoot, the revolver being extremely accurate at 25m. Not reloading for any of them as, with the cost of powder/primers etc., it only works out a penny or two less than buying factory ammo. But I'm having lots of fun. :cheese: :cheers: :clap:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: THE PRODIGAL RETURNS..

Postby flintlok » Mon May 31, 2021 1:31 am

Very nice. How is the reliability with the Glock. I've seen mixed reviews. I've been shooting old 22 pistols made by the old High Standard company when they were located in Hamden, Connecticut. I also have a Hartford High Standard 22 pistol of circa 1937 vintage known as the Model B. They are of all steel construction and accurate.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:18 am

flintlok wrote:Very nice. How is the reliability with the Glock. I've seen mixed reviews. I've been shooting old 22 pistols made by the old High Standard company when they were located in Hamden, Connecticut. I also have a Hartford High Standard 22 pistol of circa 1937 vintage known as the Model B. They are of all steel construction and accurate.

Yeah I have seen shed loads of reviews, both written and on YouTube, and it does get a panning by some. However, what I have discovered from all this is that you need to 'feed' it with either standard or HV 40 grain ammo for it to function consistently, as it should. I've put over 500 rounds of Mini-Mags and Fiocchi Standards through it and had only one misfire and that was a light strike so I'm putting it down to a crap round (well all know how .22LR ammo can vary box to box).

Also, you really need to take care when loading the mags. The mag has nice grippy pull down loading tabs but you can't just dump rounds in. You have to load against some spring/follower tension. What I do with my mags when the two rounds are in is to gently swing it through 180 degrees and give it a little shake. This settles the first round (ie the last round loaded) into place and it will function properly. Failure to load and seat the rounds will mean the top round will sit flat and fail to load into the chamber.

It's a great pistol, if you have shot a Glock 19 you'll be comfortable with the 44. Just be aware that, even with a full mag, it still weighs in at less than 1 pound..!! Sight's are adjustable but, if you're shooting 25 yards, you might have to install a higher front sight as the rear sights wont go down far enough. But it's an accurate little pistol. Oh and did I say it was fun to shoot??

I have ordered a Pro-Mag 18 round magazine for it but, they have their problems, I intend only loading 15 rounds. I don't think I've ever shot so much .22LR ammo until now..!! :clap: :thumbs:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Postby flintlok » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:05 am

Yeah, I agree the shooting 22 rimfire is loads of fun. I've shot more 22's than anything else. I did do one range session where I shot about 700 45ACP rounds. I had loading some ammo where every 15th round or so wouldn't completely chamber. I could have disassembled those rounds and properly reset them. It was easier just to shoot them. That was a long day at the pistol range. A fellow stopped by to see who was shooting all that ammo when there's a shortage. Still I've shot loads more 22's this year than those 45's.
I have an M9 Beretta in 9mm and I bought the 22 conversion kit for that pistol. I do have a Glock 19 and I was thinking about buying a 22 conversion kit and then I saw Glock came out with it's own 22. I wish that Glock offered a conversion kit though. Lately though I've been leaning towards those High Standard pistols. They simply are a pleasure to shoot.
I've used ProMag products in the past. They lie some place within hand throw down range . I haven't had much luck with their stuff.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:59 am

You still NEED a COLT 1911 in .45ACP though..

Great Pics Bud!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Tommo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:31 pm

Viperteks wrote:
You still NEED a COLT 1911 in .45ACP though....

No chance.. have you seen the price of .45ACP..?? And it's not cheap even if you reload it. There's only one guy at the club who shoots .45ACP, others who shoot .45 Long Colt - mainly in lever guns. Had a blast this morning. Shot 250 .22LR through the Glock and 100 9mm through the SR1911.

** By the way, on a 1911 forum, I have read quite a few posts where the Colt 1911 gets really panned. Maybe 'back in the day' they were good, but apparently today's versions are pretty poor. Maybe quality will improve now that CZ own Colt..!!

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Tommo » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:38 pm

flintlok wrote:
I've used ProMag products in the past. They lie some place within hand throw down range . I haven't had much luck with their stuff.

Well it arrived.. I unpacked it, got a box of 50 rounds and proceeded to load. At 10 I stopped. The load assist tabs are a quarter of the size of the Glock tabs and the spring could support the suspension on your truck..!! I gave up and didn't even try to load it past 10 rounds. How the hell it's supposed to take 18 I don't know. My fingers were still aching an hour later when I was in the Post Office sending it back for a swap for a Glock mag..!!

A true example of caveat emptor..!! :bh: :Facepalm:

Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:48 pm

I still wish we could have to shoot for fun :grin:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete