divine

Franchi AL-48

Anything shotgun related

Franchi AL-48

Postby weebeestie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:24 pm

I was using a Franchi semi auto yesterday and there were 2 problems with it so if anybody has any ideas or solutions I would be gratefull.
First problem- The safety was the wrong way round. Instead of pushing the pin through to the left with trigger finger it had to be pushed to the right towards trigger finger. The problem this caused was as I took a shot my finger pushed the safety pin away to the left putting the safety back on. No second shot.
It has been sugested that the safety is set up for a lefty. If so can it be changed back and how.
Second problem- It does'nt want to cycle 28 g's or lower. I read that on newer guns there are interchangeable rings. 1 for light and 1 for heavy loads.
Is there something to change on older guns such as this one.
weebeestie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Franchi AL-48

Postby stucane » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:18 pm

Regards the gas system, newer guns often have reversible pistons, one way round for light loads, t'other way for heavier stuff. If your AL does not have this feature, a good gunsmith should be able to increase the size of the gas ports in the barrel - this allows the gun to bleed off more gas, enabling the weapon to cycle lighter loads.
As for the saftey catch,I would've thought a gunsmith should be able to help with this too.
My Franchi Raptor has a reversible piston - even this doesn't allow it to cycle anything less that 28g, and it will still refuse to cycle some (cheap) 28g clay loads.
Hope this helps,
Stu.
Franchi Raptor 712
Remington 870 Express Sect.1
Daystate Huntsman .25
CBC .410
HW80K .22
BSA Mercury Mk3 .22
stucane
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby stuart mac » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:18 pm

hi mate i was told the gun operates off recoil ,not gas operated i beleve you need to push 2 pins out then trigger ,hammer safety drops out for cleaning i got the gun cheap for foxing wi heavy loads,if it cant be reversed its no big deal ,ill try later when i find ma hammer ,cheers stuart, i lent it to wee beasty for goose shooting hes scared to dirty his baikel
stuart mac
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby stucane » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Ah.....forgot that some Franchi's were recoil operated.....maybe a job for a gunsmith then!
Stu
Franchi Raptor 712
Remington 870 Express Sect.1
Daystate Huntsman .25
CBC .410
HW80K .22
BSA Mercury Mk3 .22
stucane
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby weebeestie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:49 pm

Found this on the web if anone has same problem it may be of use.

"I bought an AL48 last month too. I found the manual most unhelpful as to the position of the ring to select light vs. heavy loads as you can't tell from the picture. I asked on shotgunworld.com, and it's the ring that slides on between the spring and the friction ring holding the spring in. Smooth side towards the end of the magazine tube = light loads, smooth side towards the spring = heavy loads. "
weebeestie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby bruno527 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 pm

Hello, clean your ports , with a pipe cleaner type wire, something quite stiff , as they may the port(s) may be crusty, they are there if you can find them &scrape the crud out, sounds like your ports are bunged up, also with the ring - one side has a mind chamfer the other a deep chamfer, just play around with the ring swapping it around, i cannot remeber which is light or heavy load way..but its a 50/50 ;)
Its all in the placement !
bruno527
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Shotguns