divine

Any info on the Lanber 2082?

Anything shotgun related

Any info on the Lanber 2082?

Postby Hovannes » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:47 pm

I've read that Lanbers are far more popular in the UK than here in the US and I was wondering if anyone has had experience particularly with the 2082?
Thanks!
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: Any info on the Lanber 2082?

Postby TheSquire » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:01 pm

I have a Lanber, not the 2082, my main criticism is that it's quite heavy and not very well balanced but each to their own.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby normanb » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello and welcome .One thing that may not be apparent is that in the US you seem to be much more concerned with "models" than we in the UK . It is also so, that the same gun in the States may have different model name or number .
Lanbers were a reasonable budget or entry level gun that were good value for your money ,a bit clubby but not bad over all .In recent years the price rose so they became less competitive with cheaper imports form Turkey .Now sadly the company has closed .
normanb
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hovannes » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Thank you!
I started out with a Fox(Stevens-Savage) Model B, which is a relatively heavy gun as well compared to higher end makes. Sadly a new State law here mandates lead free hunting loads so my beloved old Fox will likely be retired soon (after 40 years of service) and I'll need a new shotgun with chrome lined bores. I'm too set in my ways to consider a semi-auto or pump for hunting, so I've looked into the Russian Baikal, Remington Spartan(Baikal) CZ/Turkish (what beautiful wood CZ's have!) Stoeger/Brazilian and the Basque Lanber---being retired, I'm on a budget that doesn't allow for a new Beretta or Browning and so far the Lanber appeals to me the most not only because they are on "close-out" here and seem to have the same "clubby" heft as my trap gun, a Beretta MK II which I've oddly enough have come to appreciate. Not so good for hiking but the Lanbers I've looked at come with sling swivels (a novelty in the US) which I think would ease my burden on long marches.
My real concern is that I've never had a lower- end shot gun with either ejectors or a single selective trigger because I figure that if I don't have them, they can't break and if they can't break I'll never have to pay to repair them---something which I consider an advantage when comparing lower-end guns (I reload anyway so why chase spent cartridges? There are no fast and furious cannonade hunting situations here like you may have with driven game.) Thank you again for your welcome and assistance! :)
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Beer Hunter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:09 am

I've had a Lamber 2097 for 6 or 7 years and it was OK.
Pro:
  • It fired somewhere in the region of 40,000 shells through it and was still tight when I traded it in.
  • Mechanically, well enough made - in that time, only the spring on the safety / barrel selector broke and that was replaced FOC by the UK distributor with an upgraded part.
Contra:
  • The trigger sears do really need a bit of polishing to get the best from the unit (but once done, it has a sweet release).
  • The barrels on mine were not well regulated (pointed in different directions) which shows to poor quality control.
    If you can shoot it before and check everything out, it may be a good buy. If no try before you buy, I'd give it a miss.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Hovannes » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:07 am

Beer Hunter wrote:I've had a Lamber 2097 for 6 or 7 years and it was OK.
Pro:
  • It fired somewhere in the region of 40,000 shells through it and was still tight when I traded it in.
  • Mechanically, well enough made - in that time, only the spring on the safety / barrel selector broke and that was replaced FOC by the UK distributor with an upgraded part.
Contra:
  • The trigger sears do really need a bit of polishing to get the best from the unit (but once done, it has a sweet release).
  • The barrels on mine were not well regulated (pointed in different directions) which shows to poor quality control.
    If you can shoot it before and check everything out, it may be a good buy. If no try before you buy, I'd give it a miss.

Kev.

That's a big help!
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Hovannes » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:19 am

I'm still trying to figure out the Lanber Model numbers----as near as I can tell the 2081 to 2085 are the same basic gun, the 2081 has double triggers, the 2082 has a single selective trigger and extractors the 2084 has double triggers and ejectors while the 2085 has ejectors and screw in chokes (or at least that's what I've gleaned from my research.)
I wonder what the 2083 model has different?
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to Shotguns