divine

Curious about chokes..

Anything shotgun related

Curious about chokes..

Postby Tommo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:40 pm

I believe I have a comprehensive, though not universal, knowledge of chokes and their usage. But a thought occurred to me that I can't come up with an answer to and that is: If I were to use an extended choke would it be the same as having a barrel a couple of centimetres (or half an inch) longer..??? For example would it mean that, say, 30" barrels became 30.5" or 28" becoming 28.5".

I have never used extended chokes so I know very little about their application and use. Your thoughts please gentlemen.. :grin:

I thank you.
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Re: Curious about chokes..

Postby Hornet 6 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:20 am

I could never feel any difference, the extra ¾" just make them easier to change.
All I decided in the end is chokes for a shotgun are like floats to an angler, they are their to catch the angler not the fish.
These day I just shoot a fixed choke 20 bore at everything, I bought it as a ¼ and ½ but later discovered it is actually about skeet and ¼
If I point it in the right place the target (or pigeon/pheasant) breaks.

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:49 am

Tommo,

Absolutely - the pressure bearing tube is effectively extended. It is only by a tiny amount, but the additional weight hanging off the end can help if you tend to snatch at shot or fail to follow after the trigger is pulled. The main benefit of these longer tubes is the more gradual application of choke (often over double the originals length) which deforms fewer pellets and improves pattern density.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Tommo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:00 am

Beer Hunter wrote:Tommo,

Absolutely - the pressure bearing tube is effectively extended. It is only by a tiny amount, but the additional weight hanging off the end can help if you tend to snatch at shot or fail to follow after the trigger is pulled. The main benefit of these longer tubes is the more gradual application of choke (often over double the originals length) which deforms fewer pellets and improves pattern density.

Kev.

Ah ha... of course... :Facepalm: :thup: :thup: :grin: Cheers Kev. :grin:
Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth...

NRA qualified RCO.. and all-round good egg :)
Tommo
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Ageing Manxman. Formerly of Southport, now back home in the Isle of Man

Return to Shotguns