divine

Benelli M2 24"

Anything shotgun related

Benelli M2 24"

Postby Labyrinth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:01 am

Hi

I've been looking at getting a Section 1 shotgun now for a while, and as I've only got the one slot on my FAC, I want to fill it with a gun that will cover as many bases in terms of shooting disciplines as possible. I'd be intending to use the gun for pigeon shooting, clay shooting, and some ground based targets such as for PSG and occasional vermin control.

I've decided on getting a Benelli M2 after everyone I've met who has owned one thinks they're great. I was saving up for either the M2 Essential, or the proper M2 Comfortech - given that in some places the price difference is only £25 or so, I'm not sure why people wouldn't spend the extra for the Comfortech stock? Anyway, I digress.

As circumstances would have it, a friend is parting with his Benelli as he's having to stop shooting following injury. It's still fairly new, and he's offered me a very good price - very much "mates rates". It's 7+1 capacity, and 24" barrel.

So here's the question: Is a Benelli with a 24" barrel going to cut it for clays and pigeon shooting? I'm used to a 28" barrel on my O/U, and I'm concerned that 24" will be too short? Could I sort the matter with a decent choke (or even an extended choke)?

I'm drawn to it because I know that for ground based targets/PSG, the short barrel will make the gun easier to handle, but for pigeon I'll need extra reach and a tight pattern. If I could sort it with an extended choke, I'd get the 24" in a heartbeat and have done with it.

Or am I going to miss every bird I shoot at with a barrel that short?
Labyrinth

Re: Benelli M2 24"

Postby Coldfinger » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:12 am

ou may be allowed the use of a S.1 for clays if the place you shoot at would have to grant you permission to use it there but I've not heard of anyone being allowed a S.1 shotgun for pigeon :hmm: :hmm:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:34 am

24 inch semi is about the same length as a 28 inch O/U
My old Benelli was a 26 inch and did well for everything including 3inch mags on ducks and geese.
As for the comfort tech, I'd pay a 100 more to not have it, but thats me, oh and another 100 for a fixed choke one :oops:

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Judge Ali » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:15 am

Coldfinger wrote: I've not heard of anyone being allowed a S.1 shotgun for pigeon :hmm: :hmm:

I got one :thup:
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:49 pm

you would not get a section 1 for clays only,you need to prove reason first for a section 1 ie vermin control and practical shotgun :thup:
not all clay grounds will let you use a section 1, something to do with insurance,check first.
the shorter the better for practical :)
don’t get to hung up about choke,1/4 should do most things well ;)
people get to obsessed by choke/barrel size,if the gun fits you and you point it in the right direction you will hit most of the targets presented to us mere mortal shooters :grin:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Labyrinth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:40 pm

I have Section 1 for pigeon shooting, but I requested use for clays at the same time and was granted it. The local club where I shoot runs special "Benelli days" for people with large capacity shotguns every so often.

Based on the comments above, I think I'm likely to purchase my friends Benelli and just roll with the 24" barrel, and HOPE I can still hit those high pigeons!

If not, I'll buy an extended choke and try again!
Labyrinth

Postby leadpig » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:03 pm

a lot of the old english game guns only have 25" barrels bud,and they have no problem hitting high birds ;)
i think you are worrying to much :)
clay guns have longer barrels to aid swing on predictable targets,game guns have short barrels for quicker aiming/handling on unpredictable targets.
most modern powders are burnt within 22",so the myth that a longer barrel will shoot further or pattern better is just that a myth.
hope that helps
dave :thup:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby 4Islander » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 pm

The 7+1 capacity is a little low for PSG.

Be careful its not the fixed length mag tube model, the one you want is the standard 5 shot M2 field model, then you buy the extension tube to the desired length you want, that way you get a gun that will hold 10 + 1 +1 with a ghost load grind to the bolt & all with a mag tube no longer than the 24" barrel & even more if you don't mind it protruding further than the barrel.

However if the price is right from your mate then you can afford to replace the original mag tube anyway if you want to increase the capacity at a later date.

4I
4Islander
Musketeer
Musketeer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Matt H » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Coldfinger wrote:ou may be allowed the use of a S.1 for clays if the place you shoot at would have to grant you permission to use it there but I've not heard of anyone being allowed a S.1 shotgun for pigeon :hmm: :hmm:

I can.

Yes I have to check with the clay range that I can use it there. I think this is an insurance thing.

Whilst you are very unlikely to get a S1 shotgun granted for clays. Once you have established good reason for having a section 1 shotgun (practical in my case). There is no real reason why you can not use it for other things as long as you have them added to your FAC conditions. I can use my m2 for clays, vermin and avian pest control as well as practical and target shotgun.

All comes down to good reason, I have land to shoot on so I asked to have it conditioned for avian pests and vermin control so that I could use it there and for clays so I could get more practice with it. My FLO was happy with that.

As much as I shoot clays, I am not probably good enough to tell you if there is any difference between using my 28" barrel Sec 2 shotgun and my 24" section 1 M2 shotgun

Matt
Matt H
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby leadpig » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Matt H wrote:
Coldfinger wrote:ou may be allowed the use of a S.1 for clays if the place you shoot at would have to grant you permission to use it there but I've not heard of anyone being allowed a S.1 shotgun for pigeon :hmm: :hmm:

I can.

Yes I have to check with the clay range that I can use it there. I think this is an insurance thing.
what,like i said

Whilst you are very unlikely to get a S1 shotgun granted for clays.really :shock: Once you have established good reason for having a section 1 shotgun (practical in my case). There is no real reason why you can not use it for other things as long as you have them added to your FAC conditions. I can use my m2 for clays, vermin and avian pest control as well as practical and target shotgun.

All comes down to good reason, I have land to shoot on so I asked to have it conditioned for avian pests and vermin control so that I could use it there and for clays so I could get more practice with it. My FLO was happy with that.

As much as I shoot clays, I am not probably good enough to tell you if there is any difference between using my 28" barrel Sec 2 shotgun and my 24" section 1 M2 shotgun
i had a m2 tactical shotgun,imho they are useless for anything but practical

Matt

dave

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Benelli M2 24

Postby 1in9 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:49 pm

I've been musing about a section 1 gun for practical + rough + informal clays.

The Benelli Vinci looks like an interesting option as the FAC magazine tubes are quick change, so you could use 9+1 for PSG, 2+1 for clay ground use, 5+1 for wandering about fields and so on. Interesting mechanics too.
The UK's biggest range of rifle magazines with FREE UK delivery http://riflemags.co.uk
1in9
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Shotguns