divine

Clay Shooting Abedeen

Anything shotgun related

Clay Shooting Abedeen

Postby Fez » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi All.

Looking for some advice. Have done several corporate days shooting clays and have decided I want to do more, lots more....

Living in Banchory close to Aberdeen I expected to find lotsbofnplaces to shoot clays, to my dismay I don't seem to have found any onnthe web. lots of talk on here about seal cove but can't find any real info on the web. Any advice on ground where I could shoot locally would be appreciated.

Second bit of advice, being new I am thinking to apply for the shotgun certificate but prior to that and to avoid my usual rushing in and buying all the gear whilst maintaining no idea..... I would like to get some lessons in first. Can anyone suggest an instructor ? I guess one who would charge by the hour and provide everything in the short term at least.

Anyways all advice would be welcome, depending on how the clays go would like to venture into game/birds at some point down the line.

Cheers
Fez

Re: Clay Shooting Abedeen

Postby Bold Zak » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:51 pm

HI Fez

I'm in Aberdeen too - well just near the Airport - and am in the same boat as you. I'm looking to go for lessons as well and I believe the Seals Cove ground is run by the owner of Anderson Guns in Aberdeen - http://www.hammeranddamascus.co.uk. That ground seems to be the closest one for both of us as it's just next to Portlethen. I've not got a certificate (or gun) yet but plan to do that once I've had a few lessons. Would be happy to join up for a joint lesson if you like! Drop me a message if you're up for it and we can get something sorted.

Dean
Bold Zak

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:10 pm

Welcome to the forum both. Nice to have more members from the area :thup:

You can find the details of Seals Cove on the shooting map - sfmap.html
It's a great little ground - perhaps the most picturesque in Scotland :)
As mentioned above, it is owned by the same guy (Neil) that owns Andersons guns in the hardgate.

Not much else around after Kingscliff shut down. Auchterhouse near Dundee is well worth a visit.

There are plenty of "private" clay grounds in the area - get involved in the scene and plenty of invites will come your way ;)

Ref. the instructor question, Dave at Seals Cove is fantastic at bringing on newcomers. All kit is supplied and you pay be the hour.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Fez » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks for advice Kev..... Sounds like there is a community in the area once one gets into the scene. Is seals cove a weekend thing or are they open mid week ? I am guessing if it's the only spot around it gets busy.

Dean. I am away for the remainder of this Week and moving house next week but would certainly be up for a joint lesson after that if the timing fits. Guess one of us needs to contact Neil or Dave and get some idea on costs and availabilty.
Fez

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Fez wrote:Thanks for advice Kev..... Sounds like there is a community in the area once one gets into the scene. Is seals cove a weekend thing or are they open mid week ? I am guessing if it's the only spot around it gets busy.

Dean. I am away for the remainder of this Week and moving house next week but would certainly be up for a joint lesson after that if the timing fits. Guess one of us needs to contact Neil or Dave and get some idea on costs and availabilty.

It doesn't really get that busy. They don't really advertise the place, so it doesn't get the exposure they deserve.
At the moment it is weekends only, but once the long nights come in, they are open then too.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Jack Ferguson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Firstly seals cove is good :thup: Although it has been a good number of months since i was last there due to the distance and i don't think it was the cheapest of places either.

There is another place near New Dear called Wualkmill Clay ground, which is defiantly very good and I enjoy it although I do not think it's the right place for you until you have you're own license because as far as I am aware they don't rent out guns and I presume they don't give lessons. Its just a shame they are only open every second Sunday. Defiantly worth a visit once you get a license and gun of you're own. :thup:
Jack Ferguson
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Bold Zak » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Thanks for info & advice Jack, much appreciated. Must get lessons/SGC sorted out - I'm itching to get going!
Bold Zak

Postby Jack Ferguson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:36 pm

Bold Zak wrote:Thanks for info & advice Jack, much appreciated. Must get lessons/SGC sorted out - I'm itching to get going!

It might also be worth getting proof that you actually did get lessons, so that when applying for you SGC you have a way of proving it. :thup:
Jack Ferguson
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Beer Hunter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Jack Ferguson wrote:
Bold Zak wrote:Thanks for info & advice Jack, much appreciated. Must get lessons/SGC sorted out - I'm itching to get going!

It might also be worth getting proof that you actually did get lessons, so that when applying for you SGC you have a way of proving it. :thup:

There is no requirement to do that. With a shotgun, the police have to prove you are unsuitable to hold one. You do not need to prove you have a use for it.
Providing "good evidence" like this is a precedent we really don't want set!

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Jack Ferguson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:
Jack Ferguson wrote:

Providing "good evidence" like this is a precedent we really don't want set!

Well you've defiantly got a point there! :thup:

Although just in case I would have evidence in the event they ask for it... personnel choice I suppose :)
Jack Ferguson
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Bold Zak » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Fez, have sent you a PM about Seals Cove/lessons

Cheers
Dean
Bold Zak

Postby Fez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Dean. I am away for Easter. Will contact you when I am back next week. Cheers.
Fez

Postby sauer » Sun May 12, 2013 8:45 pm

Another small
One run every 3rd Sunday of the month near laurencekirk,consisting of 3 stands and you need your own gun but if go along with someone in thge know & under instruction I don't think it would be a problem as long as properly supervised

Pm me for dates if you want
Paul
sauer
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Beer Hunter » Sun May 12, 2013 9:16 pm

sauer wrote:Another small
One run every 3rd Sunday of the month near laurencekirk,consisting of 3 stands and you need your own gun but if go along with someone in thge know & under instruction I don't think it would be a problem as long as properly supervised

Pm me for dates if you want
Paul

Yes please. Only a few miles from me :)
Same guys who run the shoot for the Highland games?

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Fly shooter » Mon May 13, 2013 10:38 am

Kev,

There was one yesterday. Next one 2nd June. Then every 3rd Sunday (not of the month).

Cheers
Ian
Ian

Beretta 692 12g
Beretta 687sport 12g
Air Arms S510 .22
Fly shooter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Shotguns