divine

help in picking shotgun for the task ?

Anything shotgun related

help in picking shotgun for the task ?

Postby jamie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:51 pm

what shotgun for knocking of the rabbits when ferreting ?

my old man has just got his ticket and has a 12 bore semi auto coming soon. but we need a shotgun for the rabbits when ferreting. dont really want to use the 12 as it makes a mess :grin:

so would a 20 or 28 bore be the one to go for ? not worried if its semi auto or over and under.
the 12 bore has 28 inch barrel but need something compacted for this so would a 26 inch barrel be better ?

do most 20 and 28 bore shotguns have differnet chokes with them or are most full choke ? because we need something with a bit of spread really

thanks for any advise guys atb jamie ;)
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: help in picking shotgun for the task ?

Postby David » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:32 pm

A difficult question Jamie :? . You can of course get any choke combination you want with a multi-choke 20 bore semi or o/u. I have not seen a multi-choke 28bore although I am sure they must be available.
In my experience the smaller bore needs that much more accuracy, irrespective of choke, and I think that would take the 28b out of the equation. There is also the cost factor is that interests you - 28b will be generally more expensive than the 20. Although I have a 20b o/u and knocked over a couple of rabbits last night with it (1/4 fixed choke) I still have the feeling that I am more confident with a 12.
For bolting rabbits I would stick with a 12, any configuration that you are happy with, choke as open as possible (imp cylinder maybe) and a lightly loaded felt wad #6 cartridge 25 or 28 gram max). Certainly the 26" barrel might be a bit faster handling but for everyday use I doubt if you will see much difference from 28"
Thats only an old duffer's slant on it and I am sure some of these younger bunny bashers will be along later to shoot holes in my ideas :grin:
David
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jamie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:40 pm

David wrote:A difficult question Jamie :? . You can of course get any choke combination you want with a multi-choke 20 bore semi or o/u. I have not seen a multi-choke 28bore although I am sure they must be available.
In my experience the smaller bore needs that much more accuracy, irrespective of choke, and I think that would take the 28b out of the equation. There is also the cost factor is that interests you - 28b will be generally more expensive than the 20. Although I have a 20b o/u and knocked over a couple of rabbits last night with it (1/4 fixed choke) I still have the feeling that I am more confident with a 12.
For bolting rabbits I would stick with a 12, any configuration that you are happy with, choke as open as possible (imp cylinder maybe) and a lightly loaded felt wad #6 cartridge 25 or 28 gram max). Certainly the 26" barrel might be a bit faster handling but for everyday use I doubt if you will see much difference from 28"
Thats only an old duffer's slant on it and I am sure some of these younger bunny bashers will be along later to shoot holes in my ideas :grin:

thanks for the reply david i was just talking ot a guy at a gunshop and he said use the choke with most spread and use a light load so we will give that a try. ;)
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Bluelungbutter » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Can i ask why the lighter load? Is this to cause less damage to the meat?

DunK
Twitter @Bluelungbutter
Bluelungbutter
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jamie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Bluelungbutter wrote:Can i ask why the lighter load? Is this to cause less damage to the meat?

DunK

yes mate i dont want to damage the meat. i want to get awaqy with the least damage possble because i eat my rabbits and seel them to the people round the old folks home they love them ;)
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Foxy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:30 pm

jamie wrote:
Bluelungbutter wrote:Can i ask why the lighter load? Is this to cause less damage to the meat?

DunK

yes mate i dont want to damage the meat. i want to get awaqy with the least damage possble because i eat my rabbits and seel them to the people round the old folks home they love them ;)

I take it you have a meat hygene cretificate then.
Foxy
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jamie » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 pm

Foxy wrote:
jamie wrote:

DunK

no
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Foxy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:55 pm

jamie wrote:
Foxy wrote:
jamie wrote:

DunK

no

Ok but just thought i mention it as by law if you sell any game includung rabbits you need a meat hygean certificate :roll:
Foxy
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:18 pm

jamie wrote:i want to get awaqy with the least damage possble because i eat my rabbits and seel them to the people round the old folks home they love them ;)

Then don't use a shotgun Jamie; you will blat them every time. Unless you like spitting out pellets whist you eat pulped rabbit :grin:
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby Beer Hunter » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:30 pm

Foxy wrote:Ok but just thought i mention it as by law if you sell any game includung rabbits you need a meat hygean certificate :roll:

I thought there was an exception for rabbit. Live and learn.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Foxy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:22 am

Beer Hunter wrote:
Foxy wrote:Ok but just thought i mention it as by law if you sell any game includung rabbits you need a meat hygean certificate :roll:

I thought there was an exception for rabbit. Live and learn.

Kev.

It may diffrent in Scotland but in England it is a requirement to have the certificate according to my pal who is a DMQ internal varifyer.
Foxy
Foxy
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jamie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:39 am

its not like im selling them to the oap home and there cooking them up for the oap's
these people who live at the home i no they are friends of my family. so its just like you giving
rabbits to a friend of yours :roll:
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby jamie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:42 am

hungryrob wrote:
jamie wrote:i want to get awaqy with the least damage possble because i eat my rabbits and seel them to the people round the old folks home they love them ;)

Then don't use a shotgun Jamie; you will blat them every time. Unless you like spitting out pellets whist you eat pulped rabbit :grin:

i dont mate its just for ferreting work really. the rabbits i shoot otherwise are head shots with 22lr or hmr :grin: :)
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Return to Shotguns