divine

Probebly a dum question

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

Probebly a dum question

Postby Jurgenverboven » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:02 pm

I have an intressed i ipsc schooting. I suspect that the loads
Used are light overloads. I have 3 pistols capable to shoot ipsc with. Is the ammo really lightly overloaded because they controll the recoil with ease or is there more to it
Thank you
Jurgenverboven

Re: Probebly a dum question

Postby flintlok » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:16 pm

There are two types of loading in IPSC and they are classified as major or minor calibers. A 45 ACP lightly loaded will be classed as a minor caliber. Typically the velocity and weight of the round determine the class. I haven't shot IPSC in a long time but I believe the threshold velocity for the major caliber class was around 900 feet per second for a cast lead 230 grain bullet. I reloaded my own ammo using 5.2 grains of Winchester 231 powder. That load just cleared the major class. I also shot 9mm however that was always the minor class gun. It really was a 45 ACP game. The loadings rules are equal for everyone. The guns ran all over the place but the consistent winner shot what we called space guns. They were highly modified and often fitted with muzzle breaks. Such guns had a major edge over a stock over the counter pistol. I shot a stock Colt 1911 with very few modifications and I was never competitive. Now you can buy highly modified 1911's suitable for IPSC over the counter. It worth shooting with whatever pistol that you can use. The fellows are usually great guys and you can develop you pistol skills under stress.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to Reloading