divine

loading ammo for the Chiappa Rhino 38 / 357

Ammunition reloading for centerfire or shotgun
Forum rules
Shooters using reloading info and load data in this forum do so at their own risk. Check all loads with printed, commercially available reloading manuals and NEVER exceed maximum powder weights. The board/forum accepts NO liability for accidents! Be careful!

loading ammo for the Chiappa Rhino 38 / 357

Postby jack1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Hi. Is any one loading rounds for the Chiappa Rhino revolver in 38/357 for target shooting at 25 mtrs? What cases 38 or 357. what powder and how much, what bullet head level of crimp if any, oal of round and most important how is the accuracy
Thanks
jack1
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: loading ammo for the Chiappa Rhino 38 / 357

Postby flintlok » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Loading 38 Special rounds is as easy as pie. I cast my own bullets. The trick to good accuracy is not to use hard cast lead bullets and use a soft lube that has the consistency of a 50/50 beeswax and vasoline mix. I've also have Lee's Alox liquid lube with good results. The 38 soft bullet base upsets and expends on firing and is swaged by the bore as it passes through the forcing cone. Hard cast bullets do not appreciably upset. I like Winchester 231 powder. That's old school but works great for me. I set overall lenght is set by the crimp ring on the bullet. I also cast for 357 but I will load the to 38 +P velocitys. I use a semi wadcutter Keith style bullet mold that Lyman sells. The cast bullets should at least one thousandth inch over bore diameter to avoid gas cutting and leading the bore. Be sure to set a good bullet crimp. If you fail to do so the bullets may move out of the casing and beyond the cylinder which will cause your revolver to bind and jam.
I also have use both metal gas checked bullets but I prefer with card paper wads under the bullet. The paper acts as a gas check it's much less fuss. Buffalo Arms sells press mounted wad cutters for 358 diameter bullets. I use index card type paper.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: loading ammo for the Chiappa Rhino 38 / 357

Postby flintlok » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:32 pm