divine

airarms EX88

Anything air rifle related

airarms EX88

Postby bilbo » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:17 pm

i have an airarms EX88 (sigh) which is slightly less accurate than a plastic spoon and a bucket of cow doo's. a gunsmith pollished out the machining marks from the breech cylinder but it will still only manage 1.5-2" groups shot from a supported position using match ammo at 30 yds.
can any one tell me; do EX88s make good door props?
not really :lol: but they are rare and you would not have any trouble swapping or selling it ;)
noop, but they are pretty rare, you wouldn't have any problem selling it
bilbo
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Re: airarms EX88

Postby leadpig » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:13 pm

bilbo wrote:i have an airarms EX88 (sigh) which is slightly less accurate than a plastic spoon and a bucket of cow doo's. a gunsmith pollished out the machining marks from the breech cylinder but it will still only manage 1.5-2" groups shot from a supported position using match ammo at 30 yds.

not really :lol: but they are rare and you would not have any trouble swapping or selling it ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bilbo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:12 pm

leadpig wrote:
bilbo wrote:i have an airarms EX88 (sigh) which is slightly less accurate than a plastic spoon and a bucket of cow doo's. a gunsmith pollished out the machining marks from the breech cylinder but it will still only manage 1.5-2" groups shot from a supported position using match ammo at 30 yds.

are they rare because they are cr*p or because they were amazing and got snapped up quick? let me guess.
bilbo
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby leadpig » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:59 am

no idea not used one, but people seem to want them
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Les1066 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 am

I'd never heard of the Air Arms EX88, so did a bit of google fu and found a site with lots of AA stuff I've never heard about. Every day's a school day! :)

https://www.airarmsanorak.co.uk/air-arm ... vers-later
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bilbo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:10 pm

i have dismounted the barrel and pushed a pellet through, because fired pellets show little by way of rifling marks.
the results were not encouraging.
i also found that from breech to muzzle, the pellets were at first a tight fit, then much looser in the central third and then tighter again towards the muzzle.
the change was gradual.
a pellet sized using the rotary breech fell about 1/2"" into the barrel.
this means that the pellet is airborn out of the rotary breech for a reletively long time before engaging the rifling.
does this sound like a defective barrel?
it doesnt sound right to me, but what do i know.
bilbo
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Postby Les1066 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:23 pm

You're going to need to try a few different types of pellets. I don't know if it's a .177 or a .22, but look for 4.52/4.53 pellets if it's a .177 and 5.52/5.53 if it's .22.

Keep practicing - you never know, it might not all be down to the rifle ............................ !! ;) :grin:
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bilbo » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:57 pm

Les1066 wrote:You're going to need to try a few different types of pellets. I don't know if it's a .177 or a .22, but look for 4.52/4.53 pellets if it's a .177 and 5.52/5.53 if it's .22.

Keep practicing - you never know, it might not all be down to the rifle ............................ !! ;) :grin:

its a .177 and i know it isn't me; i headshot killed 7 squirrels at out to 40yds with my Vulcan .177 using wasp.
i am testing the ex88 with wasp, H&N match pellets and Dynamit Nobel Hobby and match pellets.
bilbo
Pea shooter
Pea shooter

Return to Airguns and FAC air