divine

FAC Mentoring Leeds area required

Need some help on an existing permission? Here's the place to ask!

FAC Mentoring Leeds area required

Postby Marcin » Mon May 06, 2019 10:57 am

Hi!

I am currently in the process of FAC coterminous application.

I am full member of .22 RF target shooting club and also member of shotgun clay shooting club. So my FAC application can be approved for shotgun and .22 RF target shooting.

However Police officer in charge of my application has said that he wants me to get some experience shooting over land with current FAC holder who can confirm to them that I am safe to shoot over land.

I have spoken to few members of my target shooting club but they are mostly target shooters who go to competitions or shoot at our club so no joy there. They will try to get me some names of people they know but no firm leads there.

I am looking for someone willing to take me shooting with them few times, talk safety and basically show me the practical side of vermin shooting.

I would be happy to cover expenses.

As I do not have a licence I do not have permission to shoot anywhere. I live in Leeds (LS12) but I am happy to travel for up to an hour or so to get to you.

Please PM me here.
Marcin

Re: FAC Mentoring Leeds area required

Postby Shootist » Mon May 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Join BASC and get some advice on this mentoring nonsense. I was given to understand that such nonsense had died away. IMO it's just another way of obstructing firearms applications. Either you have to find land to shoot over or your mentor has to get permission to take you over his. Then he has to be willing to sign you off as a safe shooter, but what qualifications does he have to do this? What liabilities has he got of you first time out on your own you shoot someone? As a shooter I would be reluctant to take such a responsibility.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: FAC Mentoring Leeds area required

Postby Marcin » Mon May 06, 2019 5:02 pm

Thank you, I will give BASC a call tomorrow.
They have a course https://basc.org.uk/events/firearms-awareness-training-rifle-basc-marford-mill-north-wales/ perhaps it will suffice.
Marcin

Return to Shooting buddy wanted