divine

Harrington & Richardson M12

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

Harrington & Richardson M12

Postby Calfed » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:29 pm

Some months back I glommed an H&R M12 at an estate auction. It didn't come with sights, but did have a rare Ken Viani scope rail. The rifle looked to be in excellent condition.

I had an issue with the rifle (trigger and/or bolt was dirty) which took a little time to sort out.

During the sorting out, I discovered that the prior owner had bedded the action.

I finally mounted a 6-20 Weaver Grand Slam and got a chance to sight in the H&R a few days ago. I didn't have much time, so mainly concentrated on establishing what kind of "waterline" the rifle would hold.

I got it on paper with some cheap ammo and then switched to Eley tennex. The wind was varying from a left 45 degree cross wind to about a right 45 degree crosswind. Top line was my first 5. Made an adjustment and got a second line. Then made a very small adjustment and put three in the upper left quadrant of the orange dot. This rifle seems like it has some promise.

50 yards with Eley tennex
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Harrington & Richardson M12

Postby flintlok » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:00 pm

My uncle worked for Harrington and Richardson for most of his adult life. Unfortunately he live in Athol, MA and I rarely got to see him. I could have had great firearm discounts. I asked him once what bolt action rifle he would recommend. Without a pause he said Sako. I turns out that lots of the bolt guns that H&R sold were a Sako product. He swore them. When it came to bolt guns H&R's product line tended to be a high quality product. I asked him why they sold their single shot simple shot gun. He said because that what some folks want.

That's a nice 22 rifle and a great find. I guess that my uncle was right.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Harrington & Richardson M12

Postby Calfed » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks, Flinty.

The story about these M12's is that the military contracted with H&R to build the M12 after Winchester stopped making the 52's. Supposedly they are reproductions of the Winchester 52's. I'm not sure about that, but there are many similarities.

You are right about H&R quality, also. Many people believe that the H&R Garands (I've got one!) were the nicest of the bunch. H&R also was one of the gunmakers contracted to produce the M14.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder