divine

High Standard "Victor" model

Rimfire, centerfire or black powder related topics

High Standard "Victor" model

Postby Calfed » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:18 am

At the same auction I glommed a new S&W 1905 model Hand Ejector revolver at, I also got this High standard .22 target pistol.

Are High standards known in the UK.

Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Re: High Standard "Victor" model

Postby Keef » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:31 am

Some years ago I ran a shooting club in a British Army unit in Germany.

I applied for a grant to buy some target pistols and we bough four High Standard Citations.

Years before that when I was doing my apprenticeship our range instructor was an Olympic standard Rapid Fire Pistol shooter and he changed from a Unique to a High Standard, not sure which model though. I nearly bought the Unique from him but decided not to.

Now the make will be virtually unknown after they banned all pistols in 1997.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby Les1066 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:48 am

Calfed wrote:Are High standards known in the UK.

They are now. :)
Les1066
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Keef wrote:
banned all pistols in 1997.

But they are not banned, just restricted to someone who can show a need for one.

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:40 pm

Hornet 6 wrote:But they are not banned, just restricted to someone who can show a need for one.
Neil. :)

Yes you can have a pistol but the authority for it as a Section 5 firearm comes from the Home Secretary.

The only reason you will get one is for humane dispatch of animals and any pistol for this use has to be restricted to having only two rounds.

You would also have to prove that you do a substantial amount of deer culling to get one.

Mere mortals such as myself who would want one for target shooting have no chance of getting one so effectively they are banned.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:21 pm

Keef, how well did the High Standard Citations shoot? The Citations are not importable into California.

California has a "Roster of Approved Handguns" which supposedly have been found to be "safe". By and large anything that is not new is not on the list and can't be imported into the state. California also has a "List of Olympic Exempt Pistols" that can be imported despite not being on the list There are 5 High Standards on the list, but not the Citation.

Obviously these are nothing compared to the restrictions that you face, but am offering it as an explanation as to why I've never fired a Citation.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Keef » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:58 pm

From memory they shot very well (as long as it wasn't me shooting them) although our range was fairly short being located in the attic of a five storey German barrack block.

My main memory of them is running an interest session for the wives club and nearly being shot by the first woman to shoot!
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:53 pm

Yeah, I've one of those too. The trigger is very light and delicate. You will need to use a high quality thin gun oil if you oil the action. Long before I knew better I used WD 40 as a lubricant and that gummed up the action on my pistol so much so that the trigger wouldn't reset after firing. Also don't trust the extractor to remove a chambered round once the bore gets a bit dirty, The extractor will merely slip over the cartridge's rim and remain in the chamber. That a problem common in the Victor and possibly other High Standard pistols. The magazine can be problematic. I had to slightly bend the feed lips on mine so it wouldn't stove pipe. Other than that the are great guns fun to shoot, and reliable as all get out, Just be sure to visibly check the chamber before calling the gun safe. I like the gold plated trigger, slide release, and magazine release. They're pretty.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:57 pm

The grips are after market. I don't know why anyone would change them. The factory grips we nicely contoured and checkered.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:43 pm

Keef wrote:From memory they shot very well (as long as it wasn't me shooting them) although our range was fairly short being located in the attic of a five storey German barrack block.

My main memory of them is running an interest session for the wives club and nearly being shot by the first woman to shoot!

Keef, where did you serve in Germany? Lived in Weisbaden myself for three years about 50 years ago.
Last edited by Calfed on Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:47 pm

flintlok wrote:Yeah, I've one of those too. The trigger is very light and delicate. You will need to use a high quality thin gun oil if you oil the action. Long before I knew better I used WD 40 as a lubricant and that gummed up the action on my pistol so much so that the trigger wouldn't reset after firing. Also don't trust the extractor to remove a chambered round once the bore gets a bit dirty, The extractor will merely slip over the cartridge's rim and remain in the chamber. That a problem common in the Victor and possibly other High Standard pistols. The magazine can be problematic. I had to slightly bend the feed lips on mine so it wouldn't stove pipe. Other than that the are great guns fun to shoot, and reliable as all get out, Just be sure to visibly check the chamber before calling the gun safe. I like the gold plated trigger, slide release, and magazine release. They're pretty.

Thanks, Flinty. I have a Ruger MKI target pistol that I plink around with, but it has never been real accurate. I'm hoping that this one will be.

flintlok wrote:The grips are after market. I don't know why anyone would change them. The factory grips we nicely contoured and checkered.

Well, you know shooters...always tinkering. As my old Dad used to say..."If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"...
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Keef » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Calfed wrote:Keef, where did you serve in Germany? Lived in Weisbaden myself for three years about 50 years ago.

I was in North Rhine Westphalia - Osnabruck 1966 to 1967, Munster 1967 to 1968, Minden 1971 to 1973, Bielefeld 1975 to 1977 and back to Munster 1977 to 1979.

I did a lot of moving around in 30 years, all told I had 17 different military addresses! I think the longest I did anywhere was two years, the shortest six months.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:11 am

Calfed wrote:
flintlok wrote:Thanks, Flinty. I have a Ruger MKI target pistol that I plink around with, but it has never been real accurate. I'm hoping that this one will be. ..

It's boringly accurate and it will spoil you as you will be forever looking for a 22 pistol that handy, lighter, but it will never be as accurate. At one time I use to shoot an empty 55 gallon drum at 200 yards with a little Kentucky windage.

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Calfed » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:32 am

Keef wrote:
Calfed wrote:Keef, where did you serve in Germany? Lived in Weisbaden myself for three years about 50 years ago.

I was in North Rhine Westphalia - Osnabruck 1966 to 1967, Munster 1967 to 1968, Minden 1971 to 1973, Bielefeld 1975 to 1977 and back to Munster 1977 to 1979.

I did a lot of moving around in 30 years, all told I had 17 different military addresses! I think the longest I did anywhere was two years, the shortest six months.

I guess I'm not surprised that it was in the British sector. I was in Wiesbaden from 66 to 69. Great times...$'s got you a lot of DM's and most people were friendly.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Calfed » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:34 am

flintlok wrote:
Calfed wrote:
flintlok wrote:Thanks, Flinty. I have a Ruger MKI target pistol that I plink around with, but it has never been real accurate. I'm hoping that this one will be. ..

It's boringly accurate and it will spoil you as you will be forever looking for a 22 pistol that handy, lighter, but it will never be as accurate. At one time I use to shoot an empty 55 gallon drum at 200 yards with a little Kentucky windage.

Good the hear. Have gotten a lot of feedback on RFC that I should replace the recoil spring before shooting it and only use standard velocity ammo.
Calfed
Hunter
Hunter

Next

Return to Rimfire, centerfire and black powder