divine

Needing advice on my gun cabinet!!

Pretty much anything shooting related

Needing advice on my gun cabinet!!

Postby bigtedzzr » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi folks having a little problem with my Cabinet.
It is fixed to an outside wall in my house due to the fact they are the only soild load bearing walls in my house, The house is an old farm house with stone and lime walls , So here is the problem the walls are incredibly cold and I recon damp and I seem to be getting a lot of damp in the cabinet.
I am trying to think of a way of insulating the back of the cabinet would putting a piece of hardboard between the wall and said cabinet help or will just help to suck moisture through the wall ??
If any body has any ideas or solutions please let me know as it is starting to annoy me don't really want to ruin my guns so at the minute I am giving them a regular oiling .
Have ordered a big dehumidifying silica bag to put in the cabinet which won't affect my rifles as they are both synthetic stocks but not sure if it will be enough!!!
Karl
bigtedzzr
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Needing advice on my gun cabinet!!

Postby humperdingle » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 pm

The hardboard wouldn't do much good. If the wall is damp, then i'd probably put something with a moisture barrier behind it. A sheet of laminated wood or something like that maybe? The pallets of laminate flooring that big DIY stores get in always have a full uncut sheet of the stuff strapped on top of the pallet. These usually get chucked out, so ask at your local one if they have any spare.

Shame you didn't ask earlier, I could have sent you some silica.
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby albob » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:47 pm

the only thing i can think of is something like a pond liner at the back of the cabinet and fold some of the surplus around the side and top of cabinet,maybe stick it down on the cabinet sides and top.
cheers
al
albob
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Velocette » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 pm

It might be because the cabinet itself is cold,,causing the damp air to condense inside. Try one of those low wattage heaters inside,,just to take the chill off.
Velocette
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hungryrob » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 pm

I'd be inclined to move the cabinet... i know it might be a nuisance but worth the effort in the long run.

A sturdy beam inside a wall would make a solid anchor too..., Especially if bolted through a solid wooden floor as well.
Brown trout fishing and accommodation in rural Perthshire; look at http://www.laighwood.co.uk
hungryrob
Site Owner
Site Owner
Founder
Founder

Postby daz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:16 pm

i would be moving my cabinet mate.sounds like condensation and you cant stop it.you could fix it to a stud wall in a warmer room.draw around your cabinet cut the plasterboard off and place more 4x2 in. then screw the plasterboard back on them fix it back 3inch wood bolts.that will get hell of a hold.(i done it in my old house and the f.a/o passed it ok.(we built a timber framed house and the owner was fixing two cabinets to the stud wall and that passed ok.
howa 1500.223.
cz 452.22.
cz 452.17hmr.
Beretta al391 semi 12g.
bettinsoli mk3 o/u 12g.
and one very amusing young springer spaniel.
daz
Musketeer
Musketeer

Postby flintlok » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:33 am

However you modify your cabinet you may want to consider a Golden Rod dehumidifier. The Golden Rods are designed for gun safes/cabinets and provide low temperature heat to keep the safes dry. I nearby the ocean and there a fair amount of humidity here in the summer and I found that the Golden Rod works great. It is available through MidwayUK at the following web site http://www.midwayuk.com . I hope this helps. :roll:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby humperdingle » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:19 am

flintlok wrote:However you modify your cabinet you may want to consider a Golden Rod dehumidifier. The Golden Rods are designed for gun safes/cabinets and provide low temperature heat to keep the safes dry. I nearby the ocean and there a fair amount of humidity here in the summer and I found that the Golden Rod works great. It is available through MidwayUK at the following web site http://www.midwayuk.com . I hope this helps. :roll:

Didn't even know they existed! Wonder what % of humidity they remove? Surely a large % removal would be counter-productive?
humperdingle
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bigtedzzr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:08 am

I think you would have to be carefull with removing all the moisture if you have guns with wooden stocks as it could dry them out too much causing them to warp. Wood needs to have a bit of moisture in it.
An old lad I new didn't even like the silica bags said they were bad for the stocks !!!!
This should not affect me too much as both my rifles are synthetic/Stainless !!!
I work in the subsea industry and we use Stainless on a lot of our equipment because it does not rust , but these stainless barrels are not always what you think they are most of them are just nikel coated which I think is wrong as they are being sold and described as being stainless.
Don't get me wrong you can get stainless barrels but not for the price most of us are paying for a rifle most of the factory produced rifles are nikel coated !!!
Karl
bigtedzzr
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:20 pm

scrounge some brethable roofing felt ie tyvek,and put that behind your cabinet :) ;)
if you cant get any pm me 8-)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby bigtedzzr » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi leadpig never heard of that felt but I am going to do something like that I am going to take the cabinet down and insulate the back of it where it touches the wall I think that will help a lot.
As for a heater in the cabinet I spoke to one of our electrical wizards for offshore and he said that I dont need to spend lots of money on a heater as a 60 watt light bulb will do the job and be a hell of a lot cheaper, Light bulb is now in the cabinet and has made a big difference I can even see whats going on in the cabinet now and it has cured the condensation too.
Karl
bigtedzzr
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:41 pm

its good stuff,breathable but waterproof,ie forms a vapour barrier :) £140 a full roll though :shock: ,but i can get a offcut ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Rancid Badger » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:11 pm

I would probably be inclined to make a frame of 2x2" to the same dimension as the back of your caninet, screw it to your wall, infill it with 50mm Cellotex (high density insulation which is double faced with foil) & then screw or bolt your cabinet either to or through the frame. It would provide both a thermal and moisture barrier.
Charles S Rosson 1963 12g BLNE
Henry Monk 1913 12g SLE
Benelli Super Sport 12g
Mossberg 590 12g
Tac-Sol AR-22
Custom Varmint CZ452
Rancid Badger
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby The Burpster » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:24 pm

Put a sheet of DPC (dmap proof course) membrane behind your cab, and put all your guns in one of these ......

http://www.cwaller.de/english.htm?dbb/e ... nformation

Works for me and it sounds like I had a similar prob to you. Lightly oil guns befor I put 'em in the bags, and I have no problem!
Every day you wake up is a good day!

Bob.
The Burpster
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby bigtedzzr » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 am

Hi Bob had a look at those bags they look good but one question can you get a rifle with scopes on into them, There does'nt seem to be an awfull lot of information about them,
What guns do you keep in yours shotguns or rifles ?
Karl
bigtedzzr
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to General Shooting Topics