divine

Sgc grant with previous mental health

Pretty much anything shooting related

Sgc grant with previous mental health

Postby Tomsmith » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:04 pm

So I’ve tried clay pigeon shooting a few times and love it. I’d like to get a Sgc so I can get my own gun. I went to the doctor for anxiety and low mood about 5 1/2 years ago and was prescribed anti depressants and spoke to a assessor who said I had predominantly social anxiety. I took tablets for just under a year and came off them and have been fine ever since. I spoke to my doctor about it today when seeing him for another issue and first he pulled a face and seemed unsure then he checked my notes and said there was no self harm or suicidal thoughts at the and said he’d support it. Now I feel good don’t see a problem at all. I just wondered if anyone on here has had any experience with getting a license with a mental health history ? Or what anyone thinks my chances will be ?
Tomsmith

Re: Sgc grant with previous mental health

Postby Coldfinger » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:52 pm

Hi

I’ve known a couple of people with problems. It depends on the local force, especially their legal team who look at applications and what your doctors will say when asked. Beyond that, who knows?

One of the people I know was refused but another was told that he could join a club but would not be granted a certificate. Some clubs may look upon that as not being a problem but could make others nervous. If refused a certificate you could always challenge it but it could cost you a lot of money.

All you can do is apply. It sounds like your doctor is happy about it so you may be ok.

CF
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General Shooting Topics