divine

I have a rust question

Pretty much anything shooting related

I have a rust question

Postby Olovitu » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:44 pm

I once put a wet gun away in a carrying case. The gun eventually developed some rust. Should I replace the foam inside the case to eliminate the chance of rusting on any of my other guns?
Olovitu

Re: I have a rust question

Postby flintlok » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:09 pm

Yes, I would replace the foam. Realistically it may be ok to store in a case bearing rust however iron has two valance states when oxidized of +2 and +3 when the atom gives up electrons. It you place iron metal next to rust the containing ferric +3 will want to grab an electron from the metal and be reduce to Ferrous +2 and oxidize oxidize the metal to a ferrous rust . We etched copper in the same manner using ionized copper salts in solution where copper has two valence states. We called it a slow etch solution when the copper metal would etch via the electron shuttle method over several hours as oppose to a rapid nitric acid etch. Chemistry is replete wit these type of shuttle reactions and generally all it requires an a little moisture. some atmospheric moisture will do, and a extra electron scavenger where in you case it's oxygen. Replacing the foam would be the wise thing to do.

Don't tell SidebySide. I charge his a fee for such information. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: I have a rust question

Postby stuartcottrell » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm

I would replace your case and use vp90 pads in your gun safe, they are brilliant at absorbing moisture and also add a microscopic layer of protection to your guns, completely metal and wood safe,

stuart
stuartcottrell

Return to General Shooting Topics