divine

Range closing

Pretty much anything shooting related

Range closing

Postby mathspete » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:14 am

Got a phone call yesterday to tell me that the boar rifle range and clay ground near glossop will be closed from now on. Apparently the person who runs it, Christian, has been told by his father who owns the land that he will not allow any more shooting. Now my problem is that I have 3 rifles that have been granted as approved range only, and once my membership ceases (June) what do I have to do with these rifles. I have looked around for a new range to join and the nearest I can find is Derby, however they have a 6 month waiting list and are very expensive and require about 2 visits per week from members which is quite a commitment and a long round trip, perhaps Shootist can comment on this and put me right if I'm wrongly informed. Can anyone suggest an alternative and tell me the law on this situation, particularly as due to covid I haven't actually fired these rifles in the last year. :thdn:
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Range closing

Postby Shootist » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:16 pm

Derby Rifle and Pistol Club is a great club, that's the first thing. I'm pretty sure that even for probationers there is no requirement for two visits a week. There is a general requirement for probationers to make so many attendances in their 6 month probationary period. As you are an FAC holder the probationary period is three months during which time you are expected to make a minimum of 8 visits on club days (Sun. AM and Wed PM), so not too bad. Bear in mind that the three months stands even if you make 8 visits in one month. Once you get to be a full. member and have done your club range officer course you can et your own set of keys and use the range pretty much whenever. There is a waiting list for membership but it varies a great deal as people drop out or lose interest. The sooner you get your application in the quicker you'll bubble up to the top.

As far as having not shot for a long time they can hardly complain given the way they have been enforcing what they think the 'Covid Rules' are. If you know a tame farmer you may be able to get permission to shoot over land, depending upon the calibres. Alternatively you may have to store them. with an RFD. Not too bad for 3, but it'd be a bugger for my 20! If any are deer legal then a booking for Bambi should help. If you want to let me know what the rifles are I'll give it some thought.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby libensvolenspotens » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:57 pm

How about the FCSA UK? They have places on military ranges where you could use the .338LM.
Check out their website www,fcsa.co.uk
Might be a solution to your problem
Drop them a line & see what they say

Cheers,
Dave
libensvolenspotens
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby mathspete » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:50 pm

I have lots of farms and have continued to do essential crop and livestock protection throughout the last year, using all my rabbit, fox and deer rifles. My three rifles granted as range use only are the Lee Enfield, the Mauser and the Ruger Precision 338 LM. Is Derby range covered for the 338, I don't want to have to join 2 separate clubs. When will you be open again as I can nip down on a Wed evening again and pick up some membership application forms, I can't get any joy from your website as to post covid reopening or how to download forms or who to e-mail completed ones back to.
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:01 pm

Derby isn't covered for .338 unfortunately. At risk of telling you how to suck eggs, you don't need to belong to a club that allows .338 as long as the club you do belong to is H.O. approved and you shoot a few times a year in competitions at ranges that do, such as Bisley. Rather than have you drive all the way just to pick up forms try emailing the membership officer to send you a set, or I'll try and download one for you. PM me your email and I'll send you a word document version I've just found.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Deallad » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:37 pm

I suggest that you transfer your PRIMARY club to the NRA, you need to attend bisley at least once a year for them to support your fac renewal.

Then you can search out another local club.

To join the NRA for the first year costs £56-00 and that includes your insurance you can join online, you just send them a photograph

Hope this helps

Mike
CZ 455.22LR 17HMR 22WMR
Marlin 39a 22 & 336 in 30-30win
RUGER 1022
Henry 22wmr & 45/70gov
Remington 700 Police LTR 223 S&B 5-25X56 PM11 P3 FFP
Accuracy Int AXMC 300 Win Mag S&B 5-25x56 PM!! P4F FFP
Benelli M2
NRA QUALIFIED INSTRUCTOR
Deallad
Hunter