divine

Best way to sharpen machetes and axes?

Best way to sharpen machetes and axes?

Postby Yessir » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:17 am

As above please guys?. It's not a job I would mind doing free hand so nothing fancy, just recommend a stone (or stones) maybe
?.

Got a Kukri on the way now to :grin: .
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Best way to sharpen machetes and axes?

Postby flintlok » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:56 am

In South America, where machetes are common hand tools, lots of folks sharpen them with a file. That's how I've done my machetes in the past. They are not super hard steel and can lose an edge quickly. You can sharpen them very sharp very quickly with a file. There are loads of videos that show how to do it and everybody has their own method it seems.

I love a kukri but it heavy knife meant for heavy chopping and cutting. I prefer a tomahawk or a hatchet for such work and I'll use a three to four inch knife for smaller work.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:27 am

File and finish with some sort of stone. I use a Lansky "Puck" - a double sided hand held stone http://lansky.com/index.php/products/du ... sharpener/

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Yessir » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:10 pm

Cheers guys I will track down the puck. what spec file would be best in conjunction with such a stone please?.

I was also wondering about the worksharp powered belt sharpener, forms a strong convex edge and is not badly priced. It might just be worth it to save time and patience...
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:23 am

Yessir wrote:Cheers guys I will track down the puck. what spec file would be best in conjunction with such a stone please?.

I was also wondering about the worksharp powered belt sharpener, forms a strong convex edge and is not badly priced. It might just be worth it to save time and patience...

aye i am looking at that as well,there is a new improved version coming out soon though :hmm:
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 pm

It could be ideal for rough jobs anyway. Wonder is the new version worth having/waiting for because it will probably be more expensive to.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Yessir wrote:It could be ideal for rough jobs anyway. Wonder is the new version worth having/waiting for because it will probably be more expensive to.

better yes dearer yes ;) $150

[youtube]http://youtu.be/gDkNHiDC6ug[/youtube]
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Ordered the puck in the end, the simpler system the better I think, plus I can use it in the feild and I'd like to be able to practice my freehand sharpening more to.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Yessir » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:25 pm

Beer Hunter wrote:File and finish with some sort of stone. I use a Lansky "Puck" - a double sided hand held stone http://lansky.com/index.php/products/du ... sharpener/

Kev.

Do you use an oil on the puck and if so what type please?, or is the type not that important?.
Got mine yesterday and these two on the right :grin: .

Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby flintlok » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:01 pm

For all of my knives when stone sharpening I use charcoal lighter fluid. That does a great job cleaning my Arkansas horning stones.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:47 pm

what are they yessir :)

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Cheers flintlok. Cold Steel Royal Kukris dave, new this year. Will keep one nice + clean and use the other for stuff :grin: .
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby leadpig » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 pm

hmmmmm thats why i did not recognise them then ;) ,i thought/new they were cold steel,but did not think to check the website :oops: i like them but at only 2.8mm thick how strong are they :hmm: .
they seem to slice well :thup:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/lE45u2uumn4[/youtube]

leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 pm

I have another 1055 CS machete which has took serious impacts without fail :!: . Usually cutting back nettles and underneath is a lump of stone or scrap metal. I also saw a video where a guy had this kukri and was beating the crap out of it against a heavy lump of wood w/o issue. I don't plan on being to abusive anyway. I have axes for axe jobs :lol: .

Oh and for one handed use it's heavy enough without going wider, knowing CS, I guess there is a weapon elememt to the design and any more weight would slow it right down perhaps :hmm: .

Doh, just watched the vid and I think that is the wood I meant. He must have another vid.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby 1in9 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:02 pm

I've been using an Accusharp for years. Puts a perfect 21 degree V on knives and machetes, couple of light runs followed by a few strokes of a steel and you can shave hair. They are about a tenner.

21 degrees is perhaps a little two fine an angle for axes. I tend to use a file and one of those cheap rubber based diamond grindy blocks to get to about 30 degrees. Does the job.
The UK's biggest range of rifle magazines with FREE UK delivery http://riflemags.co.uk
1in9
Hunter
Hunter
Trade Member
Trade Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Knives, axes, other cutting tools and sharpening