divine

UK "legal" carry knifes

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Beer Hunter » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 pm

TJC wrote:So in effect you are left with the old fashioned pen knife under 3 inches only ?

Or the type I'm asking about - e.g.

I've ordered a flat ground version in CPM-S30V steel with Titanium handles. My reckoning is that if it is something that will be in my pocket 24/7, it should be nice.

I like the deign for your index finger - you would have to be doing something pretty silly for it to close on you.

Kev.
Beer Hunter
 

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby TJC » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:55 pm

That looks nice. Kinda what i am looking for too.
User avatar
TJC
Rifleman
Rifleman
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:30 pm
Location: London

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Haggis » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Nutnfancy does it again, by claiming that in the UK we can't own locking blades. :roll:

I actually carry a locking blade Kershaw Tension in my shooting bag, it goes with me whenever I'm shooting and that's my reason for having it.

When I'm not shooting or any other activity that would provide reason to carry a locking folder, I carry a non-locking folder. I actually always carry the non-locking folder, clipped to my right hand pocket, I just add the extra knife when needs must. Or to be more accurate when reason is provided. 8-)
User avatar
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:53 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby supersnapper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:18 pm

I might be wrong but I believe you can carry a longer knife if you have a legitimate reason for it. If you are a chef for instance. Maybe the same if you go rabbit shooting and you need it to skin rabbits ( I dont know). I used to carry a sheath knife when I went fishing I used it to cut fish slices for bait, cut line, but I dont know if that would be a legitimate reason or not.
supersnapper
Rifleman
Rifleman
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:01 am

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Beer Hunter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:35 pm

supersnapper wrote:I might be wrong but I believe you can carry a longer knife if you have a legitimate reason for it. If you are a chef for instance. Maybe the same if you go rabbit shooting and you need it to skin rabbits ( I dont know). I used to carry a sheath knife when I went fishing I used it to cut fish slices for bait, cut line, but I dont know if that would be a legitimate reason or not.

Quite correct - you can carry a lock knife or sheath knife of any size when you have a good reason to do so. The rest of the time, if you want to have a blade in your pocket, it needs to be 3" or less, it must fold into its own handle and not lock in place when open.

Kev.
Beer Hunter
 

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby leadpig » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Yessir wrote:
Cottontail killer wrote:My everyday carry is a sog ageis no exactly uk leagal but used every day never the less. also have a leatherman multitool,Axe and machete in the car (I took the chainsaw out a few weeks ago)

Paul


Any idea if our carry laws are the same as the UK's Paul? :hmm: . I've just assumed they are as I can't find anything relevant, just the list of "offensive weapons" on the IoM customs import restrictions.

found out today they are the same as the uk billy,non locking sub 3"
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .


Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
User avatar
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Moderator
Moderator
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
 
Posts: 11136
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Isle of Man

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Yessir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm

leadpig wrote:
Yessir wrote:
Cottontail killer wrote:My everyday carry is a sog ageis no exactly uk leagal but used every day never the less. also have a leatherman multitool,Axe and machete in the car (I took the chainsaw out a few weeks ago)

Paul


Any idea if our carry laws are the same as the UK's Paul? :hmm: . I've just assumed they are as I can't find anything relevant, just the list of "offensive weapons" on the IoM customs import restrictions.

found out today they are the same as the uk billy,non locking sub 3"


:thdn: but with "good reason" you can carry a useful, safe knife?

Plod needs good reason to search also I believe unless we live in that much of a police state where you can have your privacy completely invaded for absolutely no reason.
User avatar
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 am
Location: Isle of Man

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby leadpig » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Yessir wrote:
leadpig wrote:
Yessir wrote:
Cottontail killer wrote:My everyday carry is a sog ageis no exactly uk leagal but used every day never the less. also have a leatherman multitool,Axe and machete in the car (I took the chainsaw out a few weeks ago)

Paul


Any idea if our carry laws are the same as the UK's Paul? :hmm: . I've just assumed they are as I can't find anything relevant, just the list of "offensive weapons" on the IoM customs import restrictions.

found out today they are the same as the uk billy,non locking sub 3"


:thdn: but with "good reason" you can carry a useful, safe knife?
yup as long as you have good reason you can carry what you want,although be carefull ie if your a carpet fitter and drive a hour away from work to go for dinner in a cafe with a stanley knife in your pocket you could be in trouble ect

Plod needs good reason to search also I believe unless we live in that much of a police state where you can have your privacy completely invaded for absolutely no reason.
no idea and something i am not getting in to at the minute
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .


Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
User avatar
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Moderator
Moderator
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
 
Posts: 11136
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Isle of Man

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Shootist » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:08 pm

Some of you may remember the Victorinox 'card' that was a credit card sized plastic flat container with a variety of Victorinox accessories, including a tiny knife with a blade of about 1". Because the blade had a point it was an offending article under S.139 Criminal Justice Act. Don't go thinking that police wouldn't bother with such trivia. A retired Major (IIRC) was removed from the channel tunnel train for possessing a very slightly larger version of the same thing. He was cautioned, and now has a criminal record.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
User avatar
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
 
Posts: 4871
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Derby

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Yessir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:34 pm

.
Shootist can a plod just randomly stop an average dude in street and get him to empty his pockets?, lift his shirt etc?.
User avatar
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 am
Location: Isle of Man

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Shootist » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:55 pm

Yessir wrote:.
Shootist can a plod just randomly stop an average dude in street and get him to empty his pockets?, lift his shirt etc?.


Technically no (there are exceptions. There are always exceptions). The stop and search powers are actually a power introduced, for all practical purposes, to prevent a police officer having to arrest you in order to search you. The degree of suspicion required to bring a stop and search is the same as would be required for an arrest. There has to be some suspicion that a police officer could explain to an independent third person to justify the search. In practical terms, if a bobby tips you over and finds something then that will justify any suspicion he might later invent. If he doesn't he still has bullshit on his side, and most people will not make any formal complaint, let alone start legal action. Such searches cover only pockets and outer clothing, and under your hat. Or something very much similar. I can't remember the details now.

The exceptions are a bit vague from memory. There is a power for a senior officer to declare a special exercise limited to a specific area and for a specific time where anyone can be searched without specific reason. It is allegedly common practice that officers will quite this power to the person searched in spite of the fact that it has not been authorised. Mainly used / abused in city areas. The Misuse Of Drugs Act also provides powers but IIRC there has to be a justifiable reason.

One trick on a routine stop of a vehicle is to ask to look in the boot of your car. No reason is offered for this. If you decline, which you are entitled to do, (assuming you have ID and it's your motor) then the police officer will most likely become 'suspicious' and say he's exercising his stop and search powers. This he can't do (legally, but that doesn't stop them) because there is no justification in you standing upon your rights. Consider the consequences of you having forgotten that lock knife that chucked in the boot a week ago. Find that and you could well be facing a charge which you will not be able to defend.

Another point for debate. I believe quite a few police officers carry locking knives while on duty. I would suggest that they are breaking the law doing so. They will bleat that they need them to rescue trapped drivers, or cut down suicides and are therefore justified. Bollocks they are. There are far more suitable things for them to carry for such purposes, but then they won't nearly as macho and butch.
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
User avatar
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
 
Posts: 4871
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:12 am
Location: Derby

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Yessir » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:08 am

Very interesting cheers :thup: .
User avatar
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:38 am
Location: Isle of Man

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Hovannes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:56 am

Is a Schrade 34OT compliant?
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SCH34O ... in-handles
I've carried one every day for decades and it's a very useful pocket knife, although I prefer the old ones made in 'murica with jigged bone scales, not the current PRC cr@p.
Hovannes
Rifleman
Rifleman
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:19 am

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Viperteks » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:15 am

Hovannes wrote:Is a Schrade 34OT compliant?
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SCH34O ... in-handles
I've carried one every day for decades and it's a very useful pocket knife, although I prefer the old ones made in 'murica with jigged bone scales, not the current PRC cr@p.


Perfectly LEGAL

Non-locking and the blade length is under 3" (76.2mm) - However your average cop may like it SO much he will steal (sorry confiscate) it from you! :roll: :roll: :roll: ;) :thup:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
User avatar
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
 
Posts: 4904
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Cam » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:18 pm

Please forgive my ignorance, but why do locking knives attract such legal restrictions as opposed to non-locking?

Cam
Cam
Hunter
Hunter
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Knives, axes, other cutting tools and sharpening

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron