divine

UK "legal" carry knifes

UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby Beer Hunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:31 am

Guys,

As a farmer, fisher and shooter, I often have a knife or two on my possession shoved in a pocket and forgotten. At some later date I will be walking round the supermarket or an office to put my hand in a jacket pocket to find a lock knife which has a blade longer than 3" - i.e. technically "illegal" to carry without good reason. If stopped and searched for any reason, this could see me in deep trouble.

As such, I'm thinking of buying a few inexpensive "UK legal carry" knives to shove in the cars, jackets etc and then always have a useful tool with me without fear of prosecution if "caught" with one. Obviously, taking one to the pub etc would be a bad idea.

Does any one have experience with the Spyderco UK Penknife range - e.g. clicky
While obviously not up to heavy duty use, they seem to have a decent review for light to medium tasks.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Re: UK "legal" carry knifes

Postby red_mamba » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:08 am

I carry spiderco dragonfly on my key-chain :grin:
red_mamba
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby The_Dogge » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am

I recently acquired a Spyderco Delica, I'm pretty impressed with it, the blade is marked Seki City Japan, which I see is a reknowned knife making center, "sharp" seems an inadequate description of the edge, it is, well.... "Really really bloody sharp!" :grin:

That said, the hole in the blade is a bit rough, there are machining marks visible inside it, but it definately has the finish where it needs it.
The_Dogge
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Circus Orange » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:19 am

I love the ESEE Izula.
Circus Orange
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:25 am

The_Dogge wrote:I recently acquired a Spyderco Delica, I'm pretty impressed with it, the blade is marked Seki City Japan, which I see is a reknowned knife making center, "sharp" seems an inadequate description of the edge, it is, well.... "Really really bloody sharp!" :grin:

That said, the hole in the blade is a bit rough, there are machining marks visible inside it, but it definately has the finish where it needs it.

That's my EDC too, but it is a locker!

Kevin, the Spyderco UK range is simply one of the BEST out there, it has a modified (longer) basic spring lock, so it require far more effort to close (on your fingers that is). Get it you wont be disappointed! If your not happy - I WILL buy it off you I am that confident!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Hornet 6 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:52 am

I have the Spiderco you linked, in black.
Sharp and holds a good edge, light and easy to carry, that said I usually carry either a Michael Morris friction folder
or another larger friction folder made by Ivan Campos.

Neil. :)

These were pics posted by the maker during the build, mine is one of the orange ones.

ud31600.jpg
ud32600.jpg
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Bushdog » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Every Spyderco I have had was sharp, but sometimes the blades are a bit hard to re-sharpen easily, and can be brittle (I've broken the points off two by dropping them accidentally on concrete or similar floors).

When I remember, or know I am going to town or other places where a working knife is not appropriate/approved of, I carry a CRKT Edgie (see link). No lock, etc, and small enough to go into pocket rather than clip to it. Still one-hand opening, which I find useful.

The self -sharpening feature works for a while, but it does give the edge a lop-sided bevel. I find its very easy to keep sharp with a steel or a diamond sharpener.

http://www.heinnie.com/Columbia-River-K ... 9-978-781/
Bushdog
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby tisme » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:32 am

My 75 yr old mum carry's a 4" locking knife in her handbag and always has. Her reason is, to peal apples as she doesn't eat apple peal. So if your in a supermarket buying apples your be fine your have good reason.
There is no heaven or afterlife for broken-down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.
Stephen Hawking
tisme
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 am

tisme wrote:My 75 yr old mum carry's a 4" locking knife in her handbag and always has. Her reason is, to peal apples as she doesn't eat apple peal. So if your in a supermarket buying apples your be fine your have good reason.

Love it! :grin:

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby plugg » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:05 am

Spydercos are issued to some military units for quick cut-aways of 'chute lines and rope descents etc due to their one handed opening and reliability to retain a sharp edge :)
Linegeist wrote:Basically by being a leftie dickhead with the principles and backbone of a week-old kipper
plugg
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby leadpig » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:35 am

there good knives kev,and bloody sharp from the box ;)
i bought the honeybee for the mrs to go in her bag and getting one for my keys i am also getting the frn drop point
the spyderco split set is good value and you get daddy,mummy and baby knives for £24 :thup:,i can see me buying a few of these for christmas presents ;)
Sidebyside wrote:Leadpig is probably right,( though I hate to admit that :mad: ;) ) .

Fenrir wrote:It is often better to let people think you are a bit simple rather than removing all doubt.
leadpig
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:35 pm

I bought a Spydeco type UK pen knife a several years ago for my daughter. I wasn't called the UK knife but looked the same otherwise. She still has it and uses it for light duty type stuff. It's a nice knife and fine for simple cutting tasks. She really likes it which is cool as she tend so be very fussy about such things. She also has a skeletonized Spydeco that I paid $20 or so for. Wouldn't you know that now it's a collectible and runs about $100 on Ebay. I just learned that a few minutes ago.
http://spydercosource.com/2009/07/spyderco-q-c35/

No matter, Spydeco doesn't make junk. I owned several of them and when I was involved in on shore oil terminal work at the electric generating station I used them often with oil spill response equipment. My Spydeco always got a major work out, held its edge, and did whatever I needed it to do.
Last edited by flintlok on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Haggis » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I have one of these.
Actually I have 2, I bought a spare a few years back, but it's still in the box. The original has been in everyday use for 6 years and still in excellent shape.

It's a crude little knife with no refinements, but I trimmed some thick rubber sheeting on the range last week and it's still paper slicing sharp.
Mind you, it does sharpen itself every time you close the blade.
Haggis
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Yessir » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 pm

By their defenition, all "UK legal carry" knives are shite.
Yessir
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Beer Hunter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 pm

Yessir wrote:By their defenition, all "UK legal carry" knives are shite.

Nonsense. I carry several which are all useful. I wouldn't want to use any in battle situations, but then I don't carry them for that purpose.
Once I forgot my sheath knife when stalking and had nothing but a keyring Victorinox with me - its little 1.25" blade still managed the Roe's gralloch.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Next

Return to Knives, axes, other cutting tools and sharpening