divine

Mini ovens

Anything goes - within reason.

Mini ovens

Postby Andy.I » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:56 pm

I've been mulling over getting into zinc-nickel alloy electroplating for refinishing motorcycle and car components. Some parts such as brake caliper mounting brackets cannot be powder coated because the coating is too thick and it gives all sorts of alignment problems. Also, while stainless steel fastenings are cheap enough, you can only get standard fastenings. Large fastenings such as engine bolts are non-standard and have to be made specially and this is expensive. Also stainless steel isn't high tensile and shouldn't be used for applications such as wheel spindles etc. This means there is a requirement among restorers for refinishing original components.

One problem with electro-plating is the necessary acid pickling prior to plating. This induces hydrogen embrittlement which, as the words imply, makes the components brittle. The remedy is to drive off the hydrogen dissolved into the steel by baking the plated component for 24 hours at 220 Centigrade. I have had the idea of using a mini oven to do this.

Cany anybody tell me whether these mini ovens can actually reach a sustained temperature of 220 Centigrade please?
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: Mini ovens

Postby mathspete » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:00 am

Yer what? Sorry Andy I would help if I could but That is beyond my knowledge. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will come along :luck: by the way I am often down Grantham, Market Rasen and Epworth, in Lincs are any of these close to you and fancy meeting up when we are allowed.
BSA Super meteor and tornado gas ram
AA S410 TDR, Weirauch 100, Rapid 12 FAC, 5 shotguns
Anschutz 1517 &1417, Ruger 10-22 22LR
CZ 550 22-250, CZ 452 17HMR
Sako L61 270, CZ 527 .204
Lee Enfield No 4, Mauser 7.92
Parker Hale 30-06
Ruger PR 338LM
mathspete
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:43 am

Andy, in the US the company call PAVCO specializes on zinc nickel plating and can provide technical support. Their contact information is:

PAVCO®, Inc.
1935 John Crosland Jr Drive • Charlotte, NC 28208
Phone: 704-496-6800 • Toll-free: 1-800-321-7735
Fax: 704-496-6810 • Order Fax (for orders only) 704-496-6851

I just attended the following lecture by their nickel zinc technical expert. I'm sure if you contact him he can be be very helpful.

Levi McGuire of PAVCO Inc:
Zinc-Nickel finishes are being considered a future alternative to cadmium plating. Levi will discuss not only the advantages of alkaline vs. acid formulations of this finish, but also the adverse effect your choice could have on achieving wastewater treatment discharge permit compliance.
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Andy.I » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:24 pm

mathspete wrote:Yer what? Sorry Andy I would help if I could but That is beyond my knowledge. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will come along :luck: by the way I am often down Grantham, Market Rasen and Epworth, in Lincs are any of these close to you and fancy meeting up when we are allowed.

I'm in south Lincolnshire, right on the Cambridge border - Grantham's the closest to me, about 30 miles so it's doable when we're allowed out to play again!
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Andy.I » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:35 pm

flintlok wrote:Andy, in the US the company call PAVCO specializes on zinc nickel plating and can provide technical support. Their contact information is:

PAVCO®, Inc.

I just attended the following lecture by their nickel zinc technical expert. I'm sure if you contact him he can be be very helpful.

Zinc-Nickel finishes are being considered a future alternative to cadmium plating. Levi will discuss not only the advantages of alkaline vs. acid formulations of this finish, but also the adverse effect your choice could have on achieving wastewater treatment discharge permit compliance.

Thanks, but I've got all the tech support I need regarding electro-plating from a local company Gateros Plating Ltd. :thup:

It's just the actual oven I need the advice on. A full-size domestic oven would do the job but I don't want anything that big in my workshop, which is why I'm investigating using a mini oven, something about the size of a microwave oven which I can take off the bench and put it out of the way on a rack when not being used. I just need to ensure that whatever I buy is actually up to the job of holding 220 Centigade for 24 hours!
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby flintlok » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:13 am

Andy.I wrote:
flintlok wrote:Andy, in the US the company call PAVCO specializes on zinc nickel plating and can provide technical support. Their contact information is:

PAVCO®, Inc.

Thanks, but I've got all the tech support I need regarding electro-plating from a local company Gateros Plating Ltd. :thup:

It's just the actual oven I need the advice on. A full-size domestic oven would do the job but I don't want anything that big in my workshop, which is why I'm investigating using a mini oven, something about the size of a microwave oven which I can take off the bench and put it out of the way on a rack when not being used. I just need to ensure that whatever I buy is actually up to the job of holding 220 Centigade for 24 hours!

:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
The faster I go, the older I get.

"I am with you Flintsy ." SidebySide

Flintlok, I think you're dead right....."The Dogge"

" when an American comes on the forum .....and then gets a bit upperty ..."

token yank
flintlok
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Return to General chat