divine

Still here!

Anything goes - within reason.

Re: Still here!

Postby Viperteks » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:46 am

Yup, I think!
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Texasproud » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:28 pm

I'm still around. Retired from the hospital just before the CCP virus hit. Since I was a Registered Respiratory Therapist I would have been in the middle of it. Gotta get active on the site again.
Texasproud
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Andy.I » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Steve,

My sympathies for your motorcycling misfortunes; may you continue on two wheels forever. :thup:

I've finally admitted to myself that my BMW R1200ST is too big and heavy for my knees knackered by 40 seasons of rugby and it has to go. However, my little BMW F650GS is a delight and I will keep it until I can no longer swing my leg over the saddle. This is getting increasingly difficult but my 78 year old mate found a novel solution: he welded a step on the sidestand of his F650GS. As he's got 14 years on me there's still a little ray of sunshine for my future. Even better would be if I could chop them both in for a Moto-Guzzi V85TT - I'd be willing to marry one of those and have its babies! :)

FWIW I believe top boxes are an invention of the devil, designed to prevent you from swinging your leg over the saddle and they also encourage instability, especially when riding without a parrot - I've never had one and I never will. I have a mate who is new to motorcycling who says "but where do I put my helmet when I park" and when I answer that he should lock it to the bike he says "but it will get wet if it rains" so I ask him if he wears it upside down on his head.
"Everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer." HRH Phil the Greek.
Andy.I
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Coldfinger » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:50 pm

I’m still here

I’ve been working from home and after work I tend to walk the two happy dogs for between 1 and 2 hours per night. I’ve got my weight back down (could still be happy with another 2 stones off) and seem to be avoiding Type 2.

I’ve looked on Shootforum and found the only new posts to be from Flinty’s commies selling trainers or passports - For Feck’s Sake who needs a passport in 2020. Anyway, I got out of the habit of logging in.

Apart from attending a few clay shoots I haven’t fired a shot since February but I’ve been looking after the club funds and running the booking system that complies with the COVID regs for the indoor range.

I bought a Browning A5 shotgun five days before lockdown started and couldn’t shoot it for five months.

When the first lockdown ended I took my Marlin underlever to get it slicked figuring that a year without a competition season was a good time to get it done. I then got the email that said “do you know that your barrel has a bulge in it?” I have had some rounds not go off due to light strikes on the primers but I have never had a damp squib and followed it with the next round. I am 100% sure I have never fired a shot with one stuck up the pipe so I must’ve bought it in that condition. Anyway, too late to do anything about it now but since it doesn’t affect accuracy and I only use light .38’s, it looks like we are stuck with each other - somewhat like an arranged marriage.

It’s good to see people still here :thup:
"Bit of a Meldrew you, int'cha?" Linegeist

With my luck. if there was an award for most pessimistic man in the UK Id never get nominated....
wants sbs to lubricate his finger
Coldfinger
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Shootist » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:08 pm

Andy.I wrote:Hi Steve,

My sympathies for your motorcycling misfortunes; may you continue on two wheels forever. :thup:

I've finally admitted to myself that my BMW R1200ST is too big and heavy for my knees knackered by 40 seasons of rugby and it has to go. However, my little BMW F650GS is a delight and I will keep it until I can no longer swing my leg over the saddle. ......... snip ......

It's been a while and I've not updated the bike situation. I've moved the Virago on and replaced it with a scooter. Yep! A scooter. BUT, a scooter with a top speed of 110ish and. acceleration like a scalded cat. A Honda Silver Wing FJS600. Goes like snot on a wet floor. Totally removes the need for getting one's leg over too, in motorcycling terms at least. Fitted with a top box to supplement the underseat storage and I have nearly as much storage space as the Bulldog with two panniers and a top box. Probably one of the best bike buying decisions I've ever made. Rubber band drive automatic twist and go type of thing. Fairly economical too. If the weather was better I'd be taking it up to Scotland again. Will be going springtime though. Handles well too, albeit 'differently' from an ordinary bike. As an aside it's also a very 'easy' bike to ride which makes for more enjoyment of the ride. It's also fun on motorways etc. when you see a biker doing 70 or so and you pass him at about 85, on a scooter! The odd thing is, not many motorcyclists seem to want to return a wave or a nod. Another oddity is that in spite of being heavier than the Bulldog, no mean feat, it is easier to manhandle.

I had a BMW CS650 for a while. A smashing bike but the riding position bent my knees too much for comfort. As for helmets, I own 4 but the only one that fits properly is an HJC 4XL !
If you don't have to give up your car because other people commit crimes in their cars, why should I have to give up my firearms because other people commit crimes with their firearms?
Shootist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Viperteks » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:54 am

Good to see some of the 'Old Guard' still present!

Dave
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat !
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Postby Viperteks » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:56 am

Texasproud wrote:I'm still around. Retired from the hospital just before the CCP virus hit. Since I was a Registered Respiratory Therapist I would have been in the middle of it. Gotta get active on the site again.

Kevin

Send me your contact details again, email and phone numbers - cheers Bud

viperteks@gmail.com

Take care bud

Dave
Viperteks
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter

Previous

Return to General chat