divine

abit of barbel fishing over the last couple of months

All kinds of fishing up for discussion in this section

abit of barbel fishing over the last couple of months

Postby jamie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:05 pm

a couple of months back ive just started up fishing again. lucky for me really a good friend of mine has been fishing for years and against some top anglers so knows his stuff.

we went for a couple of outtings on the river seven down by where we live. only for a couple of hours in the evening. pre bait a swim and leave for a hour to let the fish come over the bait and feed.

these where the results :)

we also had some nice bream to 5 or 6 lb and some smaller skimmers. and the odd eel who has you know will mop up any bait you enter into the water
now the season is open on the local weir we are looking to get on there soon as conditions let us. looking for that big double figure barble and some very nice chub that has been had on there.

i know alot of anglers prefer to go to there local pools and they offer some great fishing. but for me the frill of getting a nice big barbel or chub offers more enjoyment then bagging up 200 lb of carp on a pool.

ive now gone on to buy some more of my own fishing gear. and looking to go a fair bit over the coming months. also after some pike and zander. the zander in our local river are some of the biggest in the country. alot of the predator anglers visit the seven looking for that record zander. i can see it falling soon.
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Re: abit of barbel fishing over the last couple of months

Postby Hornet 6 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Nice fish, I used to be mad keen on Barbel fishing, but it's a bit of trek for me.
I used to fish the Hampshire Avon and the Dorset Stour most weekends, but, it's a 320 mile round trip.
That and the price of fuel stopped me going so often, and that made location harder so just stopped altogether :oops:
Spend my time shooting and carp fishing now.

Neil. :)
Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jamie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Hornet 6 wrote:Nice fish, I used to be mad keen on Barbel fishing, but it's a bit of trek for me.
I used to fish the Hampshire Avon and the Dorset Stour most weekends, but, it's a 320 mile round trip.
That and the price of fuel stopped me going so often, and that made location harder so just stopped altogether :oops:
Spend my time shooting and carp fishing now.

hi neil yes fairly lucky here we got the the seven on my door step and the river teme which is a well known barbel and chub river.then if i go 20 mins up the road to pershore i can get on the river avon so great fishing all round really
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Hornet 6 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 pm

I have a few mates who travel up your way a couple of times a year to fish for them, but they always struggle for consistent results.
That is what stopped me, for me it's no good haveing a couple of trips a year as all you are doing is to chuck it and chance it.
One day maybe I'll get back to it, either Barbel will mysteriously appear in the local river, or I'll move down country to the fish.

Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jamie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Hornet 6 wrote:I have a few mates who travel up your way a couple of times a year to fish for them, but they always struggle for consistent results.
That is what stopped me, for me it's no good haveing a couple of trips a year as all you are doing is to chuck it and chance it.
One day maybe I'll get back to it, either Barbel will mysteriously appear in the local river, or I'll move down country to the fish.

yes seven can be hit and miss. trouble with the seven it gets flooded very quickly and all that extra cold water soon turn the fish off feeding we find.
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Hornet 6 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 pm

jamie wrote: trouble with the seven it gets flooded very quickly and all that extra cold water soon turn the fish off feeding we find.

That is why I have never bothered, it would be a great river to fish if you are local, but if you travel it will be a nightmare.
The Stour and Avon tend to be much slower to flood, and even flooded you can normally find somewhere to tuck your self away.

Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby banksjohn4433 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:54 am

fishing is boring.
banksjohn4433
Banned
Banned

Postby Hornet 6 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:36 pm

banksjohn4433 wrote:fishing is boring.

If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing :thup:

Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby FXL5 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:55 pm

I take it you've never gone spearfishing for barracuda.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve Order in the world as well as property . . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." -

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.
FXL5
Hunter
Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby jamie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Not as boring as that reply of yours
jamie
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby hedgehopper31 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:16 pm

EDIT by Fenrir

Please confine your drivel to the appropriate section.
hedgehopper31

Postby Hornet 6 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 pm

hedgehopper31 wrote:In all honesty do you think it is right to put a metal hook through the roof of a fishes mouth then drag it out of the river and then put it back again for someone else to do the same thing to it all over again. I say it is cruel.

I have caught thousand of fish over the years, not many are hooked in the roof of the mouth, if any.
For it to be cruel it would have to cause pain, or stress them in other ways.
I'm not convinced either is common, tropical fish kept in an aquarium will burn themselves on the tank heater, and not move away, once healed they will do it again, and again.
Course fish caught on rod and line in commercial or day ticket fisheries are often caught more than once a day, so just how much distress can it cause if it doesn't put them off eating bait ?

You also need to balance all that against the loss of habitat, without fishermen there would be far fewer ponds, the ones that did survive would not be looked after, industry would pollute them and farmers who don't use the ponds on their land for irrigation would fill them in.
The companies that extract aggregates would just pass (sell) the big holes they create over to commercial concerns for waste and other rubbish disposal.

Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby hedgehopper31 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:13 pm

EDIT by Fenrir

Please confine your drivel to the appropriate section.
hedgehopper31

Postby TheSquire » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:26 pm

That has been proven to be untrue. Goldfish will remember that the opening off the tank lid leads to food and will congregate at the top of the tank accordingly. If they had a 7 second memory they wouldn't remember to do that.
Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target.........
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." General John Sedgwick
TheSquire
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Hornet 6 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:13 am

TheSquire wrote:That has been proven to be untrue. Goldfish will remember that the opening off the tank lid leads to food and will congregate at the top of the tank accordingly. If they had a 7 second memory they wouldn't remember to do that.

Before I go off on one, what has been proven to be untrue

Hornet 6
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next

Return to Fishing