divine

Working Dogs Section

Should this Forum have a working dogs section?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes : 19

Working Dogs Section

Postby Rowley Birkin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:52 pm

A shooting forum without a "working dogs" section, please get voting. Every time it gets discussed in mods section it goes quiet.
I think you chaps would use such an area??? (more than poultry at least :grin: )

7 Days to vote, then I'll shut up!

:thup:
Well I was very, very drunk
Everything I post is entirely fictional.
Rowley Birkin
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Working Dogs Section

Postby presley » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Rowley Birkin wrote:A shooting forum without a "working dogs" section, please get voting. Every time it gets discussed in mods section it goes quiet.
I think you chaps would use such an area??? (more than poultry at least :grin: )

ANYONE that has a shotgun and no sort of gundog is just being cruel to wounded game..never mind missing out on so
much fun...Brian.
presley
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby polski » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:10 pm

presley wrote:
Rowley Birkin wrote:A shooting forum without a "working dogs" section, please get voting. Every time it gets discussed in mods section it goes quiet.

ANYONE that has a shotgun and no sort of gundog is just being cruel to wounded game..never mind missing out on so
much fun...Brian.

Agree 100%, the two go hand in hand.

Rick.
polski
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Rowley Birkin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:20 pm

Like Cheese on Toast must have Worcestershire sauce, Capiche :grin:

Keep Voting ;)
Rowley Birkin
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Judge Ali » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:13 pm

polski wrote:
presley wrote:

much fun...Brian.

Rick.

thats great in theory but not everyone has the facilities or time to keep a dog....
Judge Ali
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Velocette » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Alex Gibbs wrote:
polski wrote:
presley wrote:

much fun...Brian.

Rick.

thats great in theory but not everyone has the facilities or time to keep a dog....

Or indeed,,,the inclination. Now,,a CAT section would be another matter altogether :thup:
Velocette
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Rowley Birkin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Or indeed,,,the inclination. Now,,a CAT section would be another matter altogether :thup:

Oh gawd, not another one! :cry:
Rowley Birkin
Hunter
Hunter

Postby Linegeist » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:53 pm

Velocette wrote:Or indeed,,,the inclination. Now,,a CAT section would be another matter altogether :thup:

Cool! I'll vote for THAT! :thup: :thup: :thup: :grin:
.........und die power wird mit dir sein.........

Feror cupidine partium interdum Europae vincendarum magnarum
I get this urge to conquer parts of Europe and, sometimes, large men
Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Punchsteve's neighbour ........ on glorious Anglesey!

Postby polski » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:48 pm

Ok, I appreciate that some people don't have the time, facilities or inclination to own a dog.
If you only shoot driven game then there isn't a problem because the pickers up will do their job.
But what do you if your rough shooting and you prick a bird and it's a runner, or you're duck flighting and you prick a duck and it lands on water?
Surely, the name of the game is to dispatch wounded game as quickly as possible.

Maybe one for shooting ethics.

Rick.
polski
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby presley » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:45 pm

polski wrote:Ok, I appreciate that some people don't have the time, facilities or inclination to own a dog.
If you only shoot driven game then there isn't a problem because the pickers up will do their job.
But what do you if your rough shooting and you prick a bird and it's a runner, or you're duck flighting and you prick a duck and it lands on water?
Surely, the name of the game is to dispatch wounded game as quickly as possible.

Maybe one for shooting ethics.

Rick.

At last. it's good to here from some good old fashioned shooting, men with shooting morals. Just cant understand
why supposedly shooting men, on a shooting forum ,are talking about cat's every five minutes. dose my head in..
presley
Rifleman
Rifleman

Postby Linegeist » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 pm

presley wrote:At last. it's good to here from some good old fashioned shooting, men with shooting morals. Just cant understand
why supposedly shooting men, on a shooting forum ,are talking about cat's every five minutes. dose my head in..

Have you considered that you just might be taking things a teensy-weensy bit seriously Brian? ;) ;) ;)

I can't think of a single regular on here who would allow their quarry to suffer unnecessarily - not that most of them would permit themselves to miss anyway. Most of the folks on here could shoot a gnats gonads off in a force 8 anyway - this really isn't an amateur shoot 'em up forum full of wannabe Rambo's. Without exception, the blokes on here that I know well are all very good shots and committed shooters of many year's standing.

Personally, I don't shoot in situations that warrant the use of a dog - I mainly shoot rabbits and pigeon, if possible using FAC air (the air's a Hobby thing) and using a mag fed rifle. If I don't get an instant kill with the first shot, the backup is mere seconds behind. I don't miss twice.

So, on that basis, I allow myself a little levity with regards to the cat thing. On the same basis, whhy not allow yourself a little humour moosh. You seem a good bloke - so relax a little willya? You're making me nervous! ;)
:grin: ;) :thup:
.........und die power wird mit dir sein.........

Feror cupidine partium interdum Europae vincendarum magnarum
I get this urge to conquer parts of Europe and, sometimes, large men
Linegeist
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Punchsteve's neighbour ........ on glorious Anglesey!

Postby Beer Hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 am

The forum did originally have a dog section. After several months there was only a handful of posts so it was amalgamated into the "general shooting talk" section.
Ask yourself before voting if YOU would really use it.

Kev.
Beer Hunter

Postby Cheeto » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:51 am

Beer Hunter wrote:The forum did originally have a dog section. After several months there was only a handful of posts so it was amalgamated into the "general shooting talk" section.
Ask yourself before voting if YOU would really use it.

Kev.

I would like a working dog section, but, as you say, it is unlikely that it would see enough use to justify it's inclusion.
Cheeto
Rifleman
Rifleman
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Postby Keef » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:53 am

With too many sections on the front page the Forum would start to look cluttered and sunject matter difficult to find.

The tendency would be for anyone with little interest in dogs to ignore that section or for visitors to be put off exploring the site becuase of "Information overload" on the main page.

If subject matter on dogs or some of the minor interest subjects was included in General Shooting then posts on the minority interest subjects would get a wider viewing audience with the majority at least looking in general Shooting. In fact there might even be more responses when someone who might ignore a dog section looks in General and realises that they have something to contribute.

An expert can be defined as someone who knows more and more about less and less. Too many sections can lead to a similar narrow field of view.
Deleted by an Ex Mod
Keef
Consul Master Hunter
Consul Master Hunter
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Werrington Staffordshire (Supposedly Posh bit of Stoke On Trent)

Postby presley » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:22 am

Linegeist wrote:
presley wrote:At last. it's good to here from some good old fashioned shooting, men with shooting morals. Just cant understand

Have you considered that you just might be taking things a teensy-weensy bit seriously Brian? ;) ;) ;)

I can't think of a single regular on here who would allow their quarry to suffer unnecessarily - not that most of them would permit themselves to miss anyway. Most of the folks on here could shoot a gnats gonads off in a force 8 anyway - this really isn't an amateur shoot 'em up forum full of wannabe Rambo's. Without exception, the blokes on here that I know well are all very good shots and committed shooters of many year's standing.

Personally, I don't shoot in situations that warrant the use of a dog - I mainly shoot rabbits and pigeon, if possible using FAC air (the air's a Hobby thing) and using a mag fed rifle. If I don't get an instant kill with the first shot, the backup is mere seconds behind. I don't miss twice.
Ok Bob i get the picture.Maby im a we bit to passionate about my shooting. It's just that i myself did not alway's a
retrieving dog and would have lost a bit of wounded game. Im just trying to avoid someone making the same mistake
dog's are a big part in my life.Some days i go out without my gun just so i can get more retrieve's but i know that's
not everybody's cup of tea.I have nothing against cat's are any other pet's.But i like my pet's to earn there keep
Anyway you still on pluto...
So, on that basis, I allow myself a little levity with regards to the cat thing. On the same basis, whhy not allow yourself a little humour moosh. You seem a good bloke - so relax a little willya? You're making me nervous! ;)
:grin: ;) :thup:
presley
Rifleman
Rifleman

Next

Return to Working Dogs